Course Registration and Schedules >> 

Changes to Your Major/ Minor/ Concentration and MyTSU Profile >>

Holds, Appeals, Classification, and Other Resources >> 


Course Registration and Schedules

  1. Log into MyTSU
  2. From the main page, click Banner Services.
  3. From the Main Menu, click Student.
  4. From the Student Menu, click Registration.
  5. From the Registration Menu, click Student Detail Schedule.
  6. You will be asked to select the term. Choose the current term for which you are registering, and click Submit.

Want to see a video? Click here

This information is in the current undergraduate catalog or degree maps page. You may also log into myTSU to access Degree Works or click here to see your progress toward degree completion. Please remember that knowledge of a degree does not substitute for academic advising.

TSU classes are delivered in one of three ways: on-ground, online/remote, or hybrid. Click the 5-digit CRN next to the class to see if it's online or on-ground.

There are two types of online courses: asynchronous and synchronous.

  1. On-Ground
    Your course will require traditional attendance in an on-ground classroom setting. It will meet during regularly scheduled times and list a physical location. The instructional method is conventional (CON).

  2. Online/Remote
    Your course will require virtual attendance and will be delivered asynchronously or synchronously.

    Asynchronous: Your course is online, and you are not required to attend at a specific time or day. You are responsible for connecting with your instructor and keeping up with assignments and announcements in eLearn. You can access eLearn here . The instructional method is web asynchronous (WEB).

    Synchronous: Your course is online, and you must attend virtually at a specific time and day. You can connect more with the instructor online with real-time tools like Zoom in eLearn. The instructional method is web synchronous (DVC).  

    1. TN eCampus classes are taught by instructors across the state of Tennessee and incur additional fees. The section number is typically "R" and a number (i.e. R01, R35).
    2. TSU online courses are taught by instructors at TSU. The section number is usually 98.
    3. First-time/First-year students living on campus cannot have a fully online schedule as living in the dorm requires on-ground classes.
  3. Hybrid
    Your course will require attendance in an on-ground classroom and an online virtual environment. Therefore, you will need to follow your syllabi and instructions from your course instructor to know when you will meet online and when you will meet on-ground.  The instructional method is hybrid (HYB).
  1. Log into MyTSU
  2. From the main page, click Banner Services.
  3. From the Main Menu, click Student.
  4. From the Student Menu, click Registration.
  5. From the Registration Menu, click Look Up Classes.
  6. Select the current term, and click Submit.
  7. You will see a box with course subjects. Scroll and select your course subject , and click Advanced Search.
  8. Select your instructional method (Conventional, Web Asynchronous, Web Synchronous, or Hybrid), and click Section Search.

You will see all sections of that course offered for the specified semester, instructional method, class times, class meeting location, and the course registration number (CRN).

First-time freshmen are registered by an advisor in the OSS for their first term and self-register for their second term at TSU. View more information at www.tnstate.edu/ftf  

Self-registration instructions for 2nd Term and Continuing Freshmen

  1. Log into MyTSU
  2. From the main page, click Banner Services.
  3. From the Main Menu, click Student.
  4. From the Student Menu, click Registration.
  5. From the Registration Menu, click Look Up Classes.
  6. Select the current term, and click Submit.
  7. You will see a box with course subjects. Scroll down to select your subject, and click Course Search.
  8. Select your course, and click View Sections.
  9. Find the section you want, click the box in the select column, then click Register.
  10. If you see SR, that means student restriction--meaning something is preventing you from registering. Check your account in MyTSU (Banner Services >> Student) to view account holds. 

Need a video to see how to register? Click here

Important Dates and Deadlines

  1. Log into MyTSU
  2. From the main page, click Banner Services.
  3. From the Main Menu, click Student.
  4. From the Student Menu, click Registration.
  5. From the Registration Menu, click Add or Drop Classes.
    1. To drop a class, select the arrow next to it, select web drop, and submit. Web retain will not drop the class; it will keep/retain it .  
  6. Enter the CRNs in the boxes, and click Submit Changes.
    CRNs are 5-digit course registration numbers.


  • Add/Drop periods occur within open and late registration only.
  • After late registration ends, students can withdraw from a course. Course withdrawal forms are submitted to the Records Office for processing.
  • Dropping a course can impact tuition discounts, scholarships, and other financial aid. Before you drop, contact your financial aid counselor and/or scholarship coordinator.

Dual Enrollment and AP Score Concerns for First-Time/First-Year Students

  • Example: My schedule has classes that I completed at another college (or) classes that I completed as a result of my test score. How can I get my schedule changed?
  • Solution: Students must send official transcripts and test scores to the Admissions Office but can also send unofficial documents to an advisor for review.
    • For college transcripts, students can go to their college’s website or portal and email a clear image of their unofficial transcript to their advisor for an unofficial review. The email subject should be DE Transcript - Your Name - Your T-Number. 
    • Students can export or download scores from the testing website (i.e., College Board for AP scores) for exam scores. The image must be clear when you send it to an advisor for review.
  • Process: The Records Office officially evaluates and awards credit.
  • Resource: www.tnstate.edu/ftf for more information and deadlines

Readmitted and New Transfer Freshmen

All official documentation must be sent to the Admissions Office. The Records Office will officially evaluate and process it. Your advisor will recommend courses based on available and evaluated information.

Students who do not meet the college-readiness benchmark scores on the ACT or SAT will be placed in an enhanced English and/or Math course. View placement guides here .

The purpose of the course is to provide additional workshop-style support in college-level Mathematics, English, and Reading-intensive courses. Learning Support workshops enhance student skills and support successful completion.

First-time Freshmen entering the fall term should consider Summer Completion Academy to test out of learning support requirements before the fall.

Formerly known as Regents Online Campus Collaborative (ROCC) and commonly referred to as Regents Online Degree Program (RODP), the TN eCampus classes are courses offered online and taught by instructors across the state of TN.

  • TN eCampus courses are not accessed through eLearn. TSU online courses are accessed via eLearn.
  • Courses with a section number and the letter “R” (i.e. R01, R25, R50, etc.) indicate a TN eCampus class and incur additional fees.
  • Students at TSU will usually see a program restriction error when trying to register for this course type. Online classes taught by TSU faculty without additional fees are courses with section number 98.
  1. PREQ/Test Score is a pre-requisite and test score error. This means that you need to complete a pre-requisite course or fulfill a minimum test score before registering for the course.
  2. Co-requisite means you must register for the courses together (i.e. BIOL 1010 ad BIOL 1011). The easiest way to resolve this is to add both course registration numbers (CRNs) one the Add/Drop page. You can find this from the Registration menu in myTSU. If you completed the pre-requisite course but it's not showing on Degree Works or your transcript, you may need a department override while you wait for an official transcript evaluation from the Records Office.  Department Chairs or designated faculty advisors in the department can only permit department overrides for that course.
  3. View other error messages and resolutions here
View the Academic Language Guide here for all course and building codes.
All courses are assigned a course registration number (CRN). If you click on the CRN, you will see all course details, including whether the course is online or on-ground. Days with single letters mean you attend one day weekly. Days with 2 letters means you attend two days weekly.
Inventory 1
The date indicates the range that the course is offered.
  • Part Term courses will have shortened dates. These are often described as First 7-Weeks, Second 7-Weeks, Xtreme Winter Break (offered in January), and Maymester (offered in May).
  • Full Term courses will be full 10 weeks in the summer or appear like the fall term example below.
Inventory 2
Students are advised by a faculty advisor when they earn 30 or more credit hours. However, first-time freshmen are still advised in the OSS their first term if they enter with 30 or more hours.
Students should contact a department chair when a class is closed or they need a course override to register for a course.


Changes to Your Major/Minor/Concentration and MyTSU Profile

First-time Freshmen can change their major once with NSO registration to ensure their first-term schedule aligns with their intended major/program of study. Students can change it again in consultation with their advisor after the second week of their first term, which will be effective for the next term. This process is in place to avoid any impact on financial aid due to the federal CPoS rule. 

Continuing freshmen can talk to an advisor at any time during the year. After the discussion, the advisor will submit the form to the student for signature confirmation. After signing, it will route to the Records Office for processing. However, if submitted by the last day of late registration, it is effective for the current term. If submitted after, it is effective the next term.  

Here's a quick guide to help you access it and navigate the dashboard for things like registration and financial aid award acceptance.

MyTSU Help

For troubleshooting tech issues and changing your passwords, contact the helpdesk at 615-963-7777 or helpdesk@tnstate.edu

For TSU T-Number and Username lookup: https://www.tnstate.edu/tnumber 


Holds, Appeals, Classification, and Other Resources

Attempted credit hours refers to the number of credits you have attempted. Earned hours refer to the number of credit hours you have earned.

Your classification is determined by the number of credit hours you have EARNED.

0-29 Earned Hours = Freshman

30-59 Earned Hours = Sophomore

60-89 Earned Hours = Junior

90+ Earned Hours = Senior

The most common holds students ask us about are the Freshman Advisement (A6), Department Transfer (A7), Probation and Suspension Holds (PR/AH), admissions, and balance holds. The OSS does not process or have access to the following holds: transfer, suspension, balance, or admissions. We can temporarily suspend or remove the A6 hold only. All other holds are processed by other appropriate offices.

The A6 or Freshman Advisement hold is applied to freshmen student accounts until the student earns or is credited for a minimum of 30 credit hours. This hold ensures appropriate advising for freshmen and new students. It does not affect financial aid, transcript requests, or the student’s ability to make payments via the Bursar's Office.

Advisors register first-time freshmen for their first term only. This means the A6 hold will not be lifted during your first term. It will be lifted to allow you to self-register for the second term after completing advising requirements.

To view holds:

  1. Log into MyTSU
  2. From the main page, click Banner Services.
  3. From the Main Menu, click Student.
  4. From the Student Menu, click Student Records.
  5. From the Student Records Menu, click View Holds.

If a parking ticket is preventing registration, visit the parking portal to pay or appeal citations

If a balance hold is preventing registration, contact the Bursar’s Office .

If an admissions hold is preventing registration, contact the Admissions Office .

If an immunization hold is preventing registration, contact Student Health Services .

Probation (PR) and Suspension (AH) holds prevent students from registering. Students in Academic Recovery with PR and AH holds cannot register for more than 13 credit hours.

Specifically, students with PR holds can self-register, while students with AH holds cannot self-register and are registered by someone in the Academic Achievement and Retention Center. All students on probation and suspension are registered for UNIV 1020: Academic Strategies unless the student has earned a passing grade in the course. Learn more about Academic Recovery here

Students who receive the 11.999 credit hour limit error usually encounter this error if they have not submitted immunization health records to Student Health Services .

SAP is an acronym for Satisfactory Academic Progress. It is a financial aid process that requires students to earn 66.7% of their total attempted credits to remain eligible for federal and state financial aid, including Stafford Loans. The student must complete a SAP Appeal Form to receive financial aid again. Our office completes Page 3 (max hours/failed GPA) on the SAP Appeal Form for freshmen only

Click here for more information on SAP and the SAP Appeal Process

Click here for more information on Academic Suspension Appeals  


Academic Resources  

Academic Calendar and Important Dates


Bursar/Billing/Payment Due Dates

Degree Maps  

Find Your Advising Unit  

First-Time Freshmen Advising    


Registration Resources and How-To Videos 

Student Services and Campus Life