Onboarding Guide For Managers
Each year, nearly 25% of the working population undergoes some type of career transition. Turnover is expensive, so it’s important to support new employees with comprehensive Onboarding to ensure their success.
Onboarding is the process by which new hires get adjusted to the social and performance aspects of their jobs quickly and smoothly, and learn the attitudes, knowledge, skills, and behaviors required to function effectively within an organization.
The following tools and resources are to help supplement the processes that you current use in making our new employees feel comfortable and supported during their first days at Tennessee State University.
New Employee Announcement Template
Manager's Onboarding Checklist
Buddy's Onboarding Checklist
Sample Manager "Check-In" Questions
Benefits of Effective Onboarding
- Builds TSU's and your department's reputation for being a thoughtful employer, with great training, clear leadership, and a strong organization
- Helps to retain your senior staff members
- Reduces high turnover costs
- Supports new colleagues and moves them to efficient productivity levels quickly
- Builds better team relationships across the department and university
Office of Human Resources