Is this the program for me?
How do I apply?
Consult application and
MPA admission requirements in the graduate catalog
Are graduate assistantships available? Unconditionally admitted students may apply for MPA graduate assistantships subject to available openings and funds.
- FORM | graduate assistantship application (submit to Department of Public Administration via fax to 615/963.7245 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.) A limited number of graduate assistantships involving a work commitment may be available for qualifying MPA students; this is a selective process and only individuals who have been unconditionally admitted to the MPA or current students who have achieved unconditional status may apply.
Key guiding documents
What class should I take? Speak to your advisor before making course choices to ensure a smooth path through the program.
What's my plan for graduating? You should consult with your advisor to complete a program of study as soon as you have 9 credits (3 courses) in the program. Together you will map out a plan for completing program requirements.
How do I complete the internship requirement? Does my professional experience count? MPA students have a six-credit internship requirement. Those students with a year or more professional-level experience in the public, nonprofit, or healthcare sectors may apply for the internship exemption subject to advisor and department approval.
Do I need to submit a writing portfolio to meet graduation requirements? All students who started taking MPA courses in or after Fall 2008 must submit the writing portfolio for evaluation. To make this process easier, make sure you save your papers as you take your MPA coursework.
- FORM | instructions for submission of MPA writing portfolio (required for graduation for all students who entered the MPA program in or after Fall 2008); REVISED April 2010 (supercedes previous version in MPA handbook)
When can I sit for the MPA comprehensive exam? Are there any materials to help me get ready? You can request to take the MPA comprehensive exam when you have at least 30 credits complete in the program and you have completed (or are completing that semester) your core courses. You must have a 3.0 GPA to sit for the exam. Sample questions are available to help you prepare. The comp covers core courses, not electives.
What must I do to notify the University ahead of time that I'm ready to graduate? If you are ready to graduate, you must apply online to notify the Graduate School that you are planning to graduate in the upcoming semester. Watch the deadlines at the links below carefully for this application and also for the Grad Finale, when you can get your cap and gown.
- FORM (ONLINE) | Graduation Application; you must apply online for graduation from this site IN advance; check deadlines a semester ahead! Application is mandatory whether or not you plan to attend commencement.
- FINISHING TWO PROGRAMS? Students seeking both a certificate AND the MPA must petition for graduation twice, once for both programs. If you are trying to complete two programs in a SINGLE semester (such as a certificate and the MPA), apply for one of the programs using the online graduation application and then submit this other version for the second program by email as directed on the document.
- FYI | TSU commencement site - important information on the "Grad Finale" which you must attend to get fitted for cap and gown, etc.; occurs before mid-semester - check site for date.