You Have the Mission -- We Provide the Skills
Help advance the state of knowledge in public problem solving and prepare to engage effectively in serving your communities—local, regional, national, and global—through the interdisciplinary undergraduate and graduate programs in the College of Public Service.
Undergraduate Degree Programs
Offered by the Department of Social Work and Urban Professions
Urban Studies: B.S.—Interdisciplinary major grounded in the social sciences prepares students for community-oriented professions, graduate school and active engagement in public service.
Nonprofit Management and Leadership: minor—Ideal for students with a commitment to the community and the desire to apply knowledge gained in their major to future employment in the nonprofit sector.
Social Work BSSW
; Child Welfare Certification
Apply online for the undergraduate programs.
Graduate Degree Programs
Public Administration: Ph.D.
—a rigorous research-based degree that prepares you for faculty positions and leadership roles in public and nonprofit organizations. (Department of Public Administration)
Public Administration: M.P.A.
—the key professional degree enabling you to work in fast-growing public and nonprofit sectors; mixed course-delivery methods (evening, online, hybrid) help you earn a degree while employed. TSU's MPA degree is the only NASPAA-accredited program in Middle Tennessee. (Department of Public Administration)
Professional Studies: M.P.S.—a completely online, team-taught program brings together faculty from six Tennessee Regents institutions. At TSU the MPS is housed within the Department of Public Administration. Concentrations include:
- Human Resource Management
- Strategic Leadership
- Training and Development
- Mid-Tennessee Collaborative Master of Social Work (MTC MSW) — This is one program that has three locations. The program is designed for the working professional with on-campus courses offered in the evening and the remaining classes offered online. Individuals who have a Bachelor of Social Work degree and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 are eligible for advanced standing. (Department of Social Work, and Urban Studies)
Apply for graduate programs.
Graduate Certificate Programs
- Public Policy—a six-course program to build analytical expertise that makes a difference in the policy arena. (Department of Public Administration)
Healthcare Administration and Planning
—a five-course program that helps you gain high-demand skills in healthcare policy and management. (Department of Public Administration)
- Nonprofit Management —a five-course program for professionals ready to succeed in this rapidly growing sector. (Department of Public Administration)
- Executive Leadership —a six-course program offered by special arrangement for agency personnel on a cohort basis. Contact Dr. Rodney Stanley for more information. (Department of Public Administration)
Apply for graduate programs.