Research Associate Professor
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
College of Agriculture, Human and Natural Sciences
Office Location: 204D Farrell-Westbrook
Safety and regulations of TSE agents (Prion) in food and animal feed products
Biosensors for detection of foodborne pathogens
Microbial contamination during cold storage of food
Refereed journal Articles -22
Intl. Conference Proceedings -2
Technical reports -4
Research abstracts -52
Conference Presentations and Invited Lectures -28
Most Significant Publications:
Kilonzo-Nthenge, A., Chen, F-C., and Godwin, S.L. 2008. Occurrence of Listeria and Enterobacteriaceae in Domestic Refrigerators. J. Food Prot: 71(3):608-612.
Kilonzo-Nthenge, A., Nahashon, S., Chen, F-C, and Adefope, N. 2008. Prevalence and Antimicrobial Resistance of Pathogenic Bacteria in Chicken and Guinea Fowl. Poultry Sci. 87: 1841-1848
- Dodo, H. W., Konan, K. N., Chen, F-C., Egnin, M., and Viquez, O. M. 2008. Alleviating Peanut Allergy Using Genetic Engineering: The Silencing Of The Immunodominant Allergen Ara H 2 Leads To Its Significant Reduction And A Decrease In Peanut Allergenicity. Plant Biotechnology Journal 6 (2), 135–145.
- Zhou, S., Sauve, R., and Chen, F-C. 2007. Structure and temperature regulated expression of a cysteine proteinase gene in pachysandra terminalis Sieb. & Zucc. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 132(1):97–101.
- Godwin, S.L., Chen, F-C., Chamber, E., Coppings, R., and Chamber, D. 2007. A comprehensive evaluation of temperatures within home refrigerators. Food Protection Trends, 27 (3): 168-173.
- Chen, F-C., Hsieh, Y-H. P., Bridgman, R. C., and Kilonzo-Nthenge, A. 2006. Kinetics of tropomyosin denaturation as a predictive model for verifying thermal processing of beef products. J. Food Protection, 69(10):2447-2453.
- Chen, F-C., and Godwin, S. L. 2006. Comparison of a rapid ATP bioluminescence assay and standard plate count methods for assessing microbial contamination of consumer's refrigerators. J. Food Protection, 69(10):2534-2538.
- Godwin, S. L., Chen, F-C., and Coppings, R. 2006. Correlation of visual perceptions of cleanliness and reported cleaning practices with measures of microbial contamination in home refrigerators. Food Protection Trends, 26 (7): 474-480.
- Kilonzo-Nthenge, A., Chen, F-C., and Godwin, S. L. 2006. Efficacy of home washing methods in controlling surface microbial contamination on fresh produce. J. Food Protection, 69(2): 330-334.
- Zhou, S., Chen, F-C., Nahashon, S., and Chen, T. 2006. Cloning and characterization of glycolate oxidase and NADH-dependent hydropyruvate reductase genes in Pachysandra terminalis. HortScience, 41(5):1-5.
Liu, L., Chen, F-C., Dorsey, J. L., and Hsieh, Y-H. P. 2006. Sensitive monoclonal antibody-based sandwich ELISA for the detection of porcine skeletal muscle in meat and feed products. J. Food Science, 71(1): 1-6.
NUFS-3110 - Food Science
AGSC-4460 - Food Chemistry
NUFS-2110 - Elementary Nutrition
Awards and Honors:
- Member, National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI), 07/2010
- Distinguished Research Scientist Award, IAgER, Tennessee State University, 12/2007
- Faculty Research Award, Tennessee State University, 04/2007
- Winner, First Place, Scientist Poster Competition for Emerging Technology, ARD, 04/2006
Ph.D. Food Science, Auburn University
M.S. Food Science, University of Wisconsin-Stout
B.S. Nutrition, Chung Shan Medical & Dental College, Taiwan
Date joined staff: 2002