Out-of-State Students

Important Notice

The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) is a voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories that authorizes colleges and universities to offer online degree programs in states other than their own. In accordance with the Tennessee Higher Education Commission guidelines, Tennessee State University is an approved NC-SARA institution.

Check for Your State

Please check the NC-SARA State Map to determine if your State of residence is an approved SARA State. Note that if your state of residence is not approved then you will be unable to enroll in any online programs offered by Tennessee State University.   

Professional Licensure Disclosures

Many educational programs offered by Tennessee State University lead to professional licensure within the State of Tennessee and in other states. Students should be aware that licensure and certification requirements vary from state to state and are subject to change. Licensing agencies or boards also may have requirements in addition to an earned degree.

Tennessee State University has not made a determination whether Tennessee State University’s programs will meet all of the licensure and certification requirements in each US state or territory. Tennessee State University recommends that students who are not Tennessee residents or who plan to seek licensure or certification outside the state of Tennessee contact the appropriate licensing agency or board prior to enrollment in an academic program designed to lead to licensure or certification and discuss their plans with an advisor.

The Professional Licensure Resource page of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) provides a listing of licensing agencies for Counseling, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, and Teacher Education, as well as a searchable directory for additional areas of study.