Grade Appeal Policy


The University recognizes the right of a student to appeal a grade which she/he believes is incorrect and does not reflect the student’s class performance. Issues related to harassment (sexual, racial, or other) should be referred to the Affirmative Action Officer.

Students who believe an incorrect grade was awarded should seek a resolution with the instructor as soon as possible. If the student is not satisfied after attempting to reconcile the matter with the instructor, the student may appeal to the head of the department. This appeal must be in writing, accompanied by an relevant supporting documents, and must be initiated within 30 calendar days of the beginning of the semester immediately following the semester in which the grade was awarded (excluding summer school).

The department head should provide a copy of the student’s letter to the instructor and request a written response from the instructor. The instructor will provide the department head with a written response within 10 working days. (Exceptions will apply when the instructor is not teaching, as in summer session, or when the instructor is on leave.) In instances where an instructor indicates to a student that a grade adjustment is warranted, and fails to make the adjust within ten working day, the student should inform the instructor’s department head.

If the student is not satisfied with the decision of the department head, a further written appeal may be made to the Dean of the College/School. This appeal must be made within ten calendar days of the decision of the department head. After reviewing the appeal record, the Dean must render a decision within ten days of the receipt of the appeal, after which the Vice President for Academic Affairs is the next level of appeal.

If the instructor happens to be the department head or the dean, the appeal will be submitted to the next higher academic officer ( that is, to the dean if the department head is the instructor or the Vice President for Academic Affairs if the dean is the instructor). In such cases. the decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

Grades, transcript information, drop/adds, withdrawals and other data perceived by the student to be in error must be protested by the student within thirty days. Appeals made after this time will not be reviewed.

webpage contact:
School of Graduate Studies & Research