Civil Engineering Advisement & Transfer

For Degree-seeking Students Entering as First-time Freshmen or Transfers


Students who meet the University entrance requirements as outlined below with civil engineering major are assigned with a faculty advisor. The assigned faculty advisor will advise the student, evaluate and monitor their progress, recommend and enter the right combination of courses every semester, and approve the student’s trial schedule form. The student retains the same advisor until graduation.

Each officially admitted student must declare a major area of study. A student can temporarily declare his/her major as undecided. When a student is admitted, her/his information is entered in the Student Information System (SIS) database. For each admitted student, three university wide computer account numbers are created for the student's use. Names of these accounts are Academic computing, myTSU and SIS. Each account is assigned a user name and a temporary password. Student can change the initial temporary password to new password. It is a good idea to write down the password in a safe area for future remembrances.

Each student can log on to any of these computer accounts and observe her/his records and courses that have been scheduled to be offered in a particular semester. Students cannot edit and change their recorded information.


The registration for courses to be taken is carried out through a computer process. No student can register unless her/his PIN (Personal Information Number) is activated. This number is either automatically activated by the Office of Admission and Records or by the student's advisor. In the College of Engineering, each student is required to seek official advisement on the courses to register from her/his advisor. Student must record the courses she/he wants to take on a special form (A Trial Schedule form), sign the form and submit it to her/his advisor. Students must take courses that are specified in the Civil Engineering undergraduate program in proper order. The courses and a four year plan are specified in the undergraduate catalog and in this website. It is student's responsibility to follow the plan properly and seek advisement from her/his advisor. Students that take courses through a self-advising process are responsible for all consequences.


The Office of Admissions and Records of the University evaluates first-time freshman student’s high school transcript, ACT or SAT tests scores, GPA and any Advanced Placement Test scores for admission considerations. Students, whose ACT composite score and/or individual subject scores are below 19 (or 890 for SAT), are tested for remedial or developmental courses and advised by the Department of Developmental Studies to take those specific remedial or developmental courses. Completion of remedial and developmental courses and laboratories is required before a student can advance to degree credit courses for which developmental courses are pre-requisites.

During the semester, students are encouraged to pre-register for the next semester courses. Since this occurs prior to receiving the current semester grades, all students’ grades are reviewed at the end of the semester by the academic advisor to ensure that the student has earned a grade of ‘C’ or better in engineering, science, and major area courses before approving the next set of courses.

Student’s preparation in science and mathematics and ability to delineate and solve problems is further tested at the end of the sophomore year through the Engineering Entrance Examination (EEE). Students must pass the Engineering Entrance Examination (EEE) with a score of 76% or better to prove competency in mathematics and basic sciences gained in MATH 1915, 1925 Calculus and Analytical Geometry I and II, CHEM 1110, 1111 General Chemistry and Laboratory, PHYS 2110, 2111, 2120, General Physics I and Laboratory, and General Physics II. The student must have a 2.5 average or better in these courses and an overall cumulative average of 2.50 out of 4.00 to be qualified to take this test. Students must submit the Engineering Entrance Examination Form to the Deans office at least one week prior to the examination and pass the EEE before taking 300–400 level engineering and major area courses.

The Rising Junior Examination (RJE) evaluates student’s general knowledge of literature, history, humanities, and social sciences and is required at the end of sophomore year.

Students must also receive a grade of 'C' or better in both ENGL 1010, 1020 Freshman English I and II courses for graduation.

The student is required to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (FE) and Senior Exit Exam (ETS) during the final year to test their knowledge in engineering fundamentals and liberal education.

For transfer students, the Office of Admissions and Records provides the initial equivalency of all transfer credits during the first semester. The advisor evaluates transfer student's preparation by reviewing transcripts and comparing course contents. Only courses with a grade of 'C' or better are accepted for substitution for required courses toward the degree.

For admission to TSU, undergraduate transferring students must apply through the Office of Admissions and Records. Special documents are required for processing applications. For the details, refer to the "Transfer Students" section in the undergraduate catalog. This section of catalog is part of the "Academic Information" chapter of the catalog.

An applicant who wishes to major in Civil Engineering must specify Civil Engineering as her/his major in the application form.

For more information about Civil Engineering Program at TSU, please study sections of this website, contact us by calling or email to the Department Head.

Internal Transfers: a TSU student can change his/her major. Such a student must contact the department of the new major and complete and submit a change of major form. The new department will assign a new advisor to the transferring student. The form is sent to the Admissions and Records Office. This office will then change the student's major officially.


webpage contact:
civil engineering