Policy on Student Complaints

Tennessee State University is committed to a policy of fair treatment of its students in their relationships with fellow students, faculty, staff and administrators. Students are encouraged to seek an informal resolution of the matter directly with the faculty or individual(s) involved when possible. For matters where a resolution is not feasible, a Student Complaint Form can be completed.

Filing Complaints

For matters where a resolution is not feasible, a Student Complaint Form can be completed (see form below) and filed with the Office of Student Affairs.

After you submit the complaint form, it is reviewed by the Office of Student Affairs and forwarded to the appropriate office based on the subject matter.

  • Example 1: If the complaint is against a student for violation of code of student conduct, the complaint is forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct and Mediation Services.
  • Example 2: If the complaint alleges discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, the complaint is forwarded to Director of the Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance.
  • Example 3: If the subject matter is a residential hall complaint, the complaint is forwarded to the Director of Residence Life and Housing.
  • Example 4: If the subject matter is an academic complaint, the complaint is forwarded to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Upon resolution, the complaint form is returned to Office of Student Affairs, and personnel in the office will then forward the decision to the student.

Students or prospective students who wish to file a complaint related to accreditation or regarding violations of state law not resolved at the institution may submit a Student Complaint Form to the Tennessee State University Board of Trustees to the following address:

Office of the Board of Trustees
Tennessee State University
ATTN: Board Liasion
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209

Complaints regarding accreditation can also be made by contacting the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, 1866 South Lane, Decatur Georgia 3033 (www.sacscoc.org). Complaints of fraud, waste or abuse may be made by email at reportfraud@tbr.edu or by calling the Tennessee Comptroller's Hotline for Fraud, Waste and Abuse at 1(800) 232-5454.

Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution. Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the Institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (https://www.tn.gov/thec/bureaus/student-aid-and-compliance/postsecondary-state-authorization/request-for-complaint-review.html).

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards (http://www.nc-sara.org/content/sara-manual) have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website (http://nc-sara.org/sara-states-institutions). Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.

Submit Complaint >>