Important Notice: We are pleased to announce that we had a great response to our 2013 - 2014 Early Decision application cycle and that our future Class of 2017 has been fille
d . We will be offering the Early Decision Option again for the 2014-2015 Application Cycle that starts July 1, 2014 (for the class entering June 2015). If our program is your top choice of programs, we highly recommend considering the Early Decision Option as it is very possible we may fill the next class with Early Decision candidates.
The application process for our program must be completed through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). Please visit the Tennessee State University homepage on PTCAS for specific application information and admission criteria:
This web page represents the application and admission information as depicted in the TSU Graduate Student Catalog 2013-2015, beginning on page 180:
For more updated and specific information regarding application and admission, please visit the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS) at
Admission to the DPT program at TSU is a competitive process with admission to the program occurring once annually. A maximum of 36 students are enrolled in each class. A Bachelor’s degree is required by the end of the spring semester in the year you expect to start the PT program.
The Department of Physical Therapy participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service, known as PTCAS.
Applicants applying to the entry-level professional physical therapist program will apply online using the PTCAS application.
The DPT program is participating in the “early decision” option under PTCAS. To learn more about the PTCAS application process including information about the “early decision” option, please visit the PTCAS web site at
Completed applications will be reviewed and early interviews and admissions will be granted to qualifying applicants.
The application submission period begins in July when PTCAS opens the application portal. The deadline for applications is October 1
To be considered for admission to the program, applicants must have:
1. A baccalaureate degree.
a. Official transcripts are required from all institutions attended. Transcripts are to be submitted to PTCAS, NOT the University.
b. Posting of the baccalaureate degree must appear on your final undergraduate transcript.
2. Completed application to the Graduate School and payment of application fee.
3. Successful completion (C or better) of the following pre-requisite courses. A minimal pre-requisite GPA
of 3.0 is required.
a. Two (2) Biology courses with corresponding labs
b. Two (2) Chemistry courses with corresponding labs
c. Two (2) Physics courses with corresponding labs OR One (1) Physics course and a
Movement Science course (i.e. Biomechanics, Kinesiology).
d. Human Anatomy (or Anatomy and Physiology I and II in lieu of separate Anatomy and
e. Physiology (may be a general physiology or an exercise physiology course)
f. Math—at least a level of math required to take Physics I
g. Statistics/ Elementary Statistics
h. Two (2) Psychology courses OR One (1) Psychology course and One (1) Philosophy/Logic
(or equivalent) course.
4. The admission committee may consider the substitution of similar/upper level courses for the required pre-requisites.
Note: For information regarding specific courses that fulfill the above pre-requisites, please go to the PTCAS homepage. Go to
and find Tennessee State University homepage in the Program Directory.
5. The GRE scores must submitted to PTCAS using the CODE = 7759 . A combined score of 900 for Quantitative and Verbal sections of the old Graduate Record Exam (GRE). An equivalent score to 900 based on the concordance table provided by ETS/GRE is required on the new GRE. You can access the Concordance Table and determine your score conversion at:
. If you took the GRE more than once, we will accept the highest score for each section (Superscore).
6. A minimum of 40 hours of documented observation in at least two different physical therapy clinical settings. Settings may include acute, long-term rehabilitation, out-patient (sports), skilled nursing facility, and/or home health. Your observation hours must be documented in your PTCAS application.
7. Minimum of 2 recommendations - one must be from a physical therapist. Recommendations must be submitted via PTCAS.
8. Interview with the faculty (Invitations for interview are based on applicant pre-requisite GPA and GRE scores).
9. Written essay that assures proficiency in the ability to write, demonstrating analytical ability, appropriate grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Essay is completed during the onsite interview—Please do not send an essay with your application.
The application deadline is October 1.
Students who expect to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Spring just before beginning the program may be accepted pending the receipt of official transcripts including the degree earned.
Incomplete applications may result in your application being declared incomplete and result in non- admittance to the program.
International Students: Applicants with international undergraduate degrees should consult the appropriate sections of the Graduate Catalog for international admission procedures:
Other Pertinent Application/Admission Information:
Applicants who have been recommended to the Graduate School for acceptance into the DPT program are required to pay a non-refundable $250.00 reservation fee to secure their slot in the program. The reservation fee goes toward the cost of tuition once the applicant matriculates into the program.
The Department of Physical Therapy participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service, known as PTCAS, and the department will begin accepting applications in July.
To learn more about the PTCAS application process, please visit the PTCAS web site at
Admission to the Physical Therapy program requires all students to submit an Application form along with a non refundable application fee to Tennessee State University School of Graduate Studies and Research. It is strongly recommended that the application be submitted electronically and the fee paid on a charge card.
NOTE: A completed PTCAS application and application to the Tennessee State University School of Graduate Studies and Research is REQUIRED in order to be reviewed for admission.
As a reference, applicants may refer to page
179 of the
2013-2015 Graduate Catalog
Admission to the DPT program at TSU is a competitive process with admission to the program occurring once annually. A maximum of 36 students are enrolled in each class.
s degree is required by the end of the spring semester in the year you expect to start the PT
Applicant MUST have a 3.0 Pre-requisite GPA (currently – at time of application) for the application to be considered and for candidate to qualify for a possible interview invitation.
Applicant must have at least a 3.0 pre-req GPA for application to be considered. If you are taking or re-taking courses in Fall/Spring, it is recommended thatyou do not include courses you are or will be re-taking so that you have a 3.0 pre-req GPA at time of application.
Applicant may have a total of no more than 4 pre-requisite courses left to complete. They can have no more than 2 pre-requisites left to take in Spring semester (i.e. 2 in Fall, 2 in Spring or 3 in Fall, 1 in Spring is OK…but, 1 in Fall and 3 in Spring is NOT OK).
Tuition and Fees : Information about tuition and fees can be found at:
The information below is only an estimate: Based on the July 2013 Tuition and Fee Schedule
Summer = $3840 $9078
Fall = $4815 $11563
Spring = $4815 $11563
Per year = $13470 $32204
Three years = $40410 $96612
- This is based on July 2013 published fees. This does not represent total cost for attending program (does not include textbooks, materials, or housing). Tuition and Fees can change each year and thus the total cost for the program can change.
Admission Decision Plan *
Admission application dates: July 1 – October 1 using PTCAS
Early Decision : please be sure to read the Early Decision information on PTCAS website. You MUST denote that you are applying Early Decision. If you apply prior to August 15 deadline. If you do not indicate you are applying Early Decision, your application WILL NOT be reviewed as an Early Decision application.
- Application deadline: August 15
- File reviews: 3rd and 4th weeks of August
- Notify applicant of interview invitation on or around September 5
- Interviews conducted during 2nd week of September.
- Decision of Admission: on or around the 09/24
General Applications – using TSU PT Rolling Review
Please NOTE: It is very possible that the class will be filled with Early Decision candidates. If so, General Applications will not be reviewed.
If the class is not filled with Early Decision candidates, qualifying applications submitted through the General Application process using PTCAS will be reviewed using a rolling review process.
The sooner you have a
application submitted, the better your chances of being invited for an interview! Deadline for all applications is October 1!
If you have any questions after reading all information and instructions, please feel free to contact our Administrative Assistant, Brittany Cosby, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-963-5881.