About the Program
In 2003, Tennessee State University was approved to offer a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Sciences (BSHS). This is a completion degree for students who plan to apply for a graduate program in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or Public Health. The Health Sciences program provides students with the entry-level skills needed by health science professionals.
What Can I Do With a Health Sciences Degree?
Students who earn the BSHS degree are qualified to work in a variety of settings such as:
- Community Health Agencies
- Business and Educational Organizations
- Public Health Departments
- Nursing Homes
- Retirement Residences
- Home Health Agencies
- Wellness/Fitness Centers
- Medical Group Practices
- Insurance Companies
- Alcohol/Drug Programs
Students interested in the Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Sciences may have the option of receiving the general Health Sciences Degree or may choose from three of the following concentrations:
- Physical Sciences (for students interested in applying to the Physical Therapy program)
- Therapeutic Studies (for students interested in applying to the Occupational Therapy program)
- Public Health (where students interested in applying to the Master’s of Public Health program).
Please note that some agencies conduct a background check before employment and a felony conviction may affect a student's ability to be eligible for certain internships.