Health Care Administration and Planning
Looking to Serve as CEO or Manager Within Healthcare?
The Health Care Administration Profession
A healthcare manager is a well-trained and skilled professional who may serve as the chief executive officer or in another management capacity within a health care facility, agency, hospital or any organization that offers health care and/or related services. The health care manager is responsible for coordinating activities within a health care facility or department in order to accomplish the organization's goals and objectives.
The Health Care Administration and Planning program is designed to prepare individuals for leadership roles in the health care field. The curriculum includes instruction in:
- health management,
- decision making,
- and health planning.
An emphasis is placed on those management and decision-making techniques leading to efficiency in a supervisory position. The program prepares students for entry-level management positions and career opportunities in:
- managed-care organizations,
- hospitals, health centers,
- public health departments,
- health planning agencies,
- home health agencies,
- health maintenance organizations,
- and other health-related facilities.
A Health Care Administrator/Manager:
- functions as a specialist in management and administration in health care institutions;
- serves in entry level and middle-management positions in large hospitals and other institutions;
- serves as an assistant to the hospital administrator, or the head of a business, personnel, or purchasing department;
- serves as chief administrator, after some experience in hospitals, nursing homes, and other institutions;
- functions in public health programs as middle or top management personnel.
The Bachelor of Science Degree Program in Health Care Administration and Planning
Tennessee State University awards the Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Administration after satisfactory completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours, including one 12 week summer field placement. Graduates are prepared to assume entry level management positions in various health care settings or to continue their education in a variety of masters degree program disciplines.
Please note that some agencies conduct a background check before employment and a felony conviction may affect a student's ability to be eligible for certain internships.