General Operating Guidelines
These standards and protocols govern the operation of the electronic marquee on the Tennessee State University campus. The marquee is currently located at the Main entrance of the University. In the future, the marquees behind the Performing Arts Center and the Gentry Complex will be integrated into the system.
The digital signs on campus provide the campus community messaging and information about campus events, activities and services. The Department of Media Relations will provide other University entities the opportunity to request posting of information that benefits Tennessee State University students and the campus community on the digital signs at no cost. Only TSU Departments and registered student organizations are authorized to post information on the marquees.
APPROVAL PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL SIGNAGE MESSAGES
Marquee Sign Request Form
The Department of Media Relations manages digital messaging for exterior campus digital signs and is responsible for oversight and content management of information on each of the marquees. Media Relations reviews and approves or denies all exterior digital sign placement and message requests. All Media Relations decisions are final.
A request to post information on a marquee may be made in connection with an event that is open to the public and the TSU community, and MUST be an event that is sponsored by the University. A department or registered student organization may request the posting of general TSU community information on a marquee; however, such information will be posted only on a first-come-first-served basis and space availability.
University Vice-Presidents, College Deans or their designated representative are authorized to submit requests for marquee messages.
To be considered for posting on the exterior digital signs, submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Be in compliance with the University’s strategic messaging and goals
- Be of broad interest to the campus and external community
- Be campus-sponsored rather than campus-hosted
- Do not endorse a political issue or candidate
- No commercial or other for-profit messages
Priority will be given to:
- Campus emergency messages
- Announcements of University-wide interest and concern
- Events that have academic applications, such as college-based lectures, performances and exhibits as opposed to purely entertainment-based events
- General public events
- Athletic Events
- Art exhibits
- Plays or theater performances
- Admission events
- Summer Camps
- Class enrollment schedules
- Campus tours
- Any event NOT open to the general public
- Events open only to members of an organization, or events that do not appeal to a wide University community audience
- Messages from non-affiliated TSU organizations, unless sponsored by a TSU organization, will not be considered
- Any event that promotes illegal activities or violates any TSU, state or federal laws and policies
- Promotion of alcohol, tobacco, candidates in any campus election, political, factional, sectarian, racist, sexist, bigoted, false, misleading or deceptive viewpoints is prohibited
The Department of Media Relations is the contact office for items to be posted.
Submitted events or information are prioritized and posted to the marquees by the Department of Media Relations.
A request to post information on a marquee must be submitted at least TWO WEEKS prior to the event. An email response will be sent to the requester approving or denying the request within 24 business hours.
A stock template will be used for the content of the message. Media Relations has the authority to edit content based on size restrictions.
Information will be posted no more than one week prior to the event.
In general, events posted MUST be open to the public and not targeted to a specific group. Smaller events, however, may be posted if space/time allow.
The Department of Media Relations has the sole and complete discretion to approve or deny any request to post information on a marquee. For a request that is approved, the Department of Media Relations has the sole and complete discretion to determine the content and scheduling of the information posted.
The Department of Media Relations has the authority to determine the maximum number of messages that may be posted on a marquee at any given time.
Prospective users are encouraged to implement a variety of communications media for announcements rather than relying solely on the message boards. Users also are cautioned that the University offers no guarantee with respect to the appearance of any messages on the boards. Appearance of messages is subject to constraints of priorities and electronic or mechanical limitations. The number of messages which can appear in any given time period is limited, and precedence will be given to the earliest messages submitted, and priority rank. Messages may be edited for clarity and conformity to requirements.
For more information, contact Media Relations office at 615.963.5331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marquee Sign Request Form