Family Nurse Practitioner
Requirements & Program of Study
The graduates of the program will enhance and advance their practice in settings of greatest need.
GRADUATE SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS:
- Completed Graduate School application and application fee.
- Three completed recommendation forms; one from a current clinical supervisor and one from a nursing faculty if available.
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges send directly to TSU Graduate School, 3500 John Merritt Blvd., Nashville TN, 37209.
- A current resume.
- A copy of your current RN License from the state in which you practice.
- A copy of your BLS certification
- Liability Insurance (when you start your clinical)
- Typed statement of professional goals upon completion of the MSN Degree, maximum one (1) page, double spaced.
- Background check (when you start your clinical)
- Copies of professional memberships.
- Deadline for application to the Graduate School is March 15th for Summer Semester, July 15th for Fall Semester and November 15th for Spring Semester.
- The Graduate School will forward all admission materials to the School of Nursing once the packet is complete.
DIVISION OF NURSING MSN ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all required courses (general education and nursing) for the BSN degree OR in all the nursing courses
- Graduation from an Nationally Accredited baccalaureate nursing program
- An active RN license in the state in which you practice
- Current clinical practice
PROGRAM OF STUDY:
Courses are offered sequentially once a year. A nurse working full-time and attending graduate school part-time may complete the program in 6 semesters: four 15 week semesters and two summer sessions. Courses are offered in the evening hours for the convenience of working part-time students. Other part-time options are available. There are 3 programs of study - Family Nurse Practitioner, Holistic Nurse Practitioner and Nursing Education.
CURRICULUM REQUIRED COURSES (18 HOURS) :
|NURS 5000 Nursing Theory||3|
|NURS 5020 Research||3|
|NURS 5040 Role Development||3|
|NURS 5070 Health Policy||3|
|NURS 5210 Pathophysiology||3|
|NURS 5100 Advanced Assessment||4|
|NURS 5280 Pharmacotherapeutics||3|
|NURS 5120 Family Health Nursing I||4|
|NURS 5140 Family Health Nursing II||5|
ELECTIVES (3 Hours):
|NURS 5240 Selected Topics||3|
|NURS 5260 Selected Topics||3|
|or other approved courses|
PROJECT OR THESES (6 HOURS):
|NURS 5200 Thesis Writing||3/3|
|NURS 5220 Project Writing||3/3|
For more information contact:
Tennessee State University-Division of Nursing
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd., Box 9590
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
FAX: (615) 963-7614
Master of Science in Nursing