Dr. Mohammad Al-Masum
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Tennessee State University
Boswell 220, 3500 John A Merritt Blvd, Nashville, TN 37209
Tel. 615-963-5339 Fax. 615-963-5326
Ph.D. Received in March 1996, “Palladium Catalyzed Hydrocarbonation of Allenes” with Professor Yoshinori Yamamoto from Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Post-Graduate. Received in September, 1991, “ Claisen Approach to Asymmetric Synthesis of a Brefeldin C Intermediate” with Professor Takeshi Nakai from Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
M.Sc. (Thesis) Received in December, 1986, “The Preparation of Some Aromatic Ketones From The Reaction of Phenyl-Copper-Magnesium Reagent With Acyl Halides” with Professor M. T. Rahman from University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Associate Professor, 09,2011-present, Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN; Assistant Professor, 09,2005-08, 2011, Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN; Adjunct Faculty, 06,2013-08, 2013, Fisk University, TN; Adjunct Faculty, 06,2011-08, 2011, Fisk University, TN; Faculty, 06,2010-08, 2010, Fisk University, TN; Faculty, 06,2009-08, 2009, Fisk University, TN , Visiting Professor, 06,2006-08,2006, Vanderbilt University, TN; Research Faculty, 07, 2004-07, 2005, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN; Research Faculty, 08, 2002-07, 2004, University of Memphis, TN; Postdoctoral Fellow, 01, 2000-06, 2002, RTI International, RTP, NC; Visiting Professor, 07, 1998-12, 1999, Montana State University, MT; Assistant Professor, 04, 1996-03, 1998, Tohoku University, Japan; Lecturer, 08. 1988-03, 1993, Bangladesh University of Engg & Tech, Dhaka, Bangladesh
2014 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU; 2010 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU; 2008 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU; 2007 Faculty Research Award, Sponsored Research Program, TSU. Monbusho (Ministry of Education, Japan) Award: 1993-1996. 26th International UNESCO Fellowship, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, 1990-1991
Chem 6408/4008 Special Topic-Metal Catalyzed Cross-coupling Chemistry, Chem 5600/4600 Spectroscopy Application, Chem 5210 Advanced Organic Chemistry, Chem 5110 Graduate Organic Research, Chem 2020 Organic Chemsitry II, 2010 Organic Chemistry I, Chem2021, Organic Chemistry Lab II, Chem2011, Organic Chemistry Lab I, , Chem 1030, General Chemistry I, Chem 1111, General Chemistry Lab I, Fall 2005-present, Tennessee State University (TSU)
Renovating Organic Chemistry Laboratory Curriculum, Fall 2005-present, TSU
Chem 3311, Organic Chemistry, Spring 2003, 2004, University of Memphis, TN
Mentor: Graduate and under-graduate students at TSU, 2005-present
Mentor: Post-doc, Graduate and Under-graduate students at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Developing research laboratory for Post-graduate program and conducted several Chemistry courses, 1988-1993, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Regularly reviewing manuscripts for the ACS journals, the American Chemical Society publications;
Tetrahedron Letters, Elsevier Sciences. Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical; Molecules.
Green chemistry based chemical research to assist with retention and success of underrepresented students, Title III, 2013. $ 23,500.00 Funded
Developing new methods for Transition Metal Catalyzed Coupling of H-Heteroatoms to Potassium Organotrifluoroborates, Faculty Research Award, TSU, 2007, $12,000.00 Funded
RUI (NSF 14-579): Undergraduate students and their involvement in new organic transformations using potassium organotrifluoroborates NSF grants, $ 292,000.00, Pending
UR proposal for American Chemical Society: A Novel Route to Organonitrites by Pd-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling of Inorganic Nitrite Salts and Potassium Organotrifluoroborates, ACS PRF grants, $ 65,000, not funded.
UR proposal for American Chemical Society: Potassium Organotrifluoroborates in Microwave Enhanced Carbonylation Reactions $ 64,775.00 Reviewed, Not Funded
RUI(NSF 00-144): Reactions of Pronucleophiles with Potassium Organotrifluoroborates – New Look and Applications $ 300,000 Reviewed, Not Funded
UR proposal for CCLI(NSF-09-529): Microwave Lab Station for Enhancing Instructional and Research Programs in Chemistry $ 136,661.00 Reviewed,Not Funded
NSF CAREER proposal: Reactions of pronucleophiles with potassium organotrifluoroborates – New look and applications, $ 499,865 Reviewed and Not Funded
Cottrell College Science Awards: Coupling Reactions Involving Potassium Organotrifluoroborates, Pronucleophiles and Transition Metal Catalyst, $ 39,948 Reviewed and Not Funded
Al-Masum, M. (E)-Anethol synthesis by cross-coupling reaction of potassium allyltrifluoroborate and 4-bromoanisole, 2010 Application process is pending. Reference: 2826267-000010
- Al-Masum, M., Shaban, W., Microwave irradiated Pd-catalyzed C(sp)-H activation and cross-coupling with styryltrifluoroborates, Tetrahedron Lett. 2015, 56, 1437.
- Al-Masum, M.; Welch, R. L.,Catalyst free, base free microwave irradiated synthesis of aryl nitrites from potassium aryltrifluoroborates and bismuth nitrate, Tetrahedron Lett. 2014, 55, 1726.
- Al-Masum, M.; Saleh, N.; Islam, T., A Novel Route to Organonitrites by Pd-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling of Sodium Nitrite and Potassium Organotrifluoroborates, Tetrahedron Lett. 2013, 54, 1141.
- Al-Masum, M.; Lott, B. W.; Ghazialsharif, N., An efficient reaction process for the synthesis of oxazinanes and oxazolidines in the presence of air,Int. J. Org. Chem. 2012, 2, 362.
- Al-Masum, M.;Liu, K-Y., A New organic transformation by introducing crotyl\allyltrifluoroborates in cross-coupling reaction with aroyl chlorides, Tetrahedron Lett. 2011,52, 5090.
- Al-Masum, M.; Ng, E.; Wai, M., Palladium-catalyzed direct cross-coupling of potassium styryltrifluoroborates and benzoyl chlorides—a one-step method for chalcone synthesis, Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 52, 1008.
- Al-Masum, M.; Wai, M. C.; Dunnenberger, H., A Solvent Free C-Benzoylation and N-Benzoylation Reactions by Using Microwave Heating, Synthetic Commun. 2011, 41, 2888.
- Al-Masum, M.; Alam, S., Remarkable regioselectivity in microwave enhanced palladium catalyzed allylation reaction involving allyltrifluoroborates and aryl halides,Tetrahedron Lett. 2009, 50, 5201.
- Daniel S. Domin, D. S.; Al-Masum, M.; Mensah, J., Students’ categorizations of organic compounds, Chem. Educ. Res. Pract. 2008, 9, 114.
- Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M., Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions of potassium alkenyltrifluoroborates and allyl acetates, A new method for 1,4-pentadiene synthesis, Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 11.
- Kabalka, G. W.; Dadush, E.; Al-Masum, M., Microwave-enhanced cross-coupling of allyl chlorides with vinyltrifluoroborates, Tetrahedron Lett. 2006, 47, 7459.
- Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M., Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving alkenyl- and alkynyltrifluoroborates, Tetrahedron Lett. 2006, 47, 1133.
- Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M., Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving potassium organotrifluoroborates, Tetrahedron Lett. 2005, 46, 6329.
- Al-Masum, M.; Kumaraswamy, G.; Livinghouse, T., A new synthetic route to P-Chiral phosphine-boranes of high enantiopurity via stereocontrolled Pd(0)-Cu(I) cocatalyzed aromatic phosphorylation, J. Org. Chem. 2000, 65, 4776.
- Al-Masum, M.; Livinghouse, T., Pd(0)-Cu(I) cocatlyzed phosphorylation of methylphenylphosphine-borane with aryl halides and aryl nonaflates, Tetrahedron Lett. 1999, 40, 7731.
- Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto, Y., Palladium catalyzed hydrocarboxylation of allenes, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 3809.
- Kamijo, S.; Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto. Y., Palladium catalyzed hydrosulfination of allenes with tosylhydrazine leading to allylsulfones, Tetrahedron Lett. 1998, 39, 691.
- Al-Masum, M.; Meguro, M.; Yamamoto, Y., The two component palladium catalyst system for intermolecular hydroamination of allenes, Tetrahedron Lett 1997, 38, 6071.
- Nakamura, I.; Tsukada, N.; Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto, Y., Palladium catalyzed alkylative dimerization between pronucleophiles and vinyltins, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1997, 1583.
- Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.;Takeda, A., Palladium catalyzed g-addition of pronucleophiles to allenylsulphides, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1996, 831.
- Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; Fujiwara, N., Palladium catalyzed addition-substitution reaction of pronucleophiles with allenylstannanes and propargylstannanes, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1996, 381.
- Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M., Palladium catalyzed a-addition of certain pronucleophiles to alkoxyallenes, synlett. 1995, 9, 969.
- Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; Fujiwara, N.; Asao, N., Remarkable reversal of the regioselectivity in the palladium catalyzed hydrocarbonation reaction of allenes with methylmalononitrile, Tetrahedron Lett. 1995, 36, 2811.
- Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; Asao, N., Palladium catalyzed addition of activated methylene and methyne compounds to allenes, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1994, 116, 6019.
- Tomooka, K.; Ishikawa, K.; Al-Masum, M.; Nakai, T.,Regio- and stereocontrol in the reductive ring opening of the spirocyclic epoxide derived from the 4-siloxy-2-cyclopentenone, synlett 1993, 9, 645.
- Rahman, M. T.; Hai, A.K.M.A.; Al-Masum, M.; Nahar, S. K., Preparation of ketones via organocoppermagnesium reagents and acyl chlorides, J. Bdesh. Chem. Soc. 1989, 2, 17.
Recent referred Articles in conference proceedings
- Al-Masum, M. C-H activation and C-C bond formation through cross-coupling reaction by using potassium organotrifluoroborates. PAPER ID: 2125870, 249th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, March 22-26, 2015.
- Shaban, W.; Al-Masum, M. Pd-catalyzed cross-coupling reaction of styryltrifluoroborates with activated alkynes and alkanes PAPER ID: 2129072, 249th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, March 22-26, 2015.
- Welch, R.; Al-Masum, M. Palladium-catalyzed microwave heated cross-coupling of organotrifluoroborates and metal fluoride. PAPER ID: 2129183, 249th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, March 22-26, 2015.
- IUPAC Sponsored Annual Florida Heterocyclic and Synthetic Conference, Gainesville, FL, March 2-5 2014,March 4, FloHet 15 Room D1, 13.40 Professor Mohammad Al-Masum Tennessee State University, TN, USA, Efficient use of potassium organotrifluoroborates in palladium-catalyzed aroylation reaction, and nitration reaction
- Chrisman, S.; Al-Masum, M. Efficient atom economic synthetic method of functionalized aromatic esters from aroyl halides. PAPER ID: 24189 248th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA, August 10-14, 2014.
- Shaban, W.; Al-Masum, M. C-H activation of alkynes and cross-couple with potassium organotrifluoroborates forming enynes. PAPER ID: 24173 248th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA, August 10-14, 2014.
- Welch, R. L.; Al-Masum, M. Microwave enhanced catalyst free direct nitration of potassium aryltrifluoroborates. PAPER ID: 18311 (final paper number: 643) 247th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Dallas, TX, March 16-20, 2014.
- Quinone, L.; Al-Masum, M. Pd-catalyzed microwave enhanced cross-coupling reaction of aryltrifluoroborates with amino alcohol. PAPER ID: 18404 (final paper number: 644) 247th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Dallas, TX, March 16-20, 2014.
- Saleh, N.; Al-Masum, M. Sodium Nitrite and Bismuth Nitrate are New Nitrite Sources in Pd-Catalyzed Cross-Coupling Chemistry for Organonitrite, 245th ACS National Meeting & Exposition - April 7-11, 2013, New Orleans, LA. ID # 18078
- Yeasmin, S.; Al-Masum, M. Microwave irradiated Pd-catalyzed cross-coupling reaction of potassium organotrifluoroborates with carboxylic acid, 245th ACS National Meeting & Exposition - April 7-11, 2013, New Orleans, LA. ID # 22228
- Islam, T.; Taylor, K.; Al-Masum, M. Microwave irradiated Pd-catalyzed direct aroylation reaction of aryltrifluoroborates with aroyl chloride, 245th ACS National Meeting & Exposition - April 7-11, 2013, New Orleans, LA. ID # 19339
- Al-Masum, M.;Saleh, N.; Islam, T. Pd-catalyzed cross-coupling of organotrifluoroborates and nitrite to Organonitrites-A novel process 244th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Philadelphia, PA, August 19-23, 2012. ID #11571
Professional Developments (Workshops, Training)
- NSF-HBCU faculty workshop for HBCU institutions, New Orleans, LA, January 24, 2011.
- 2011 TBR Research Development Symposium, Nashville, TN, March 25, 2011.
- NSF sponsored QEM network workshop on Information and proposal development for the NSF proposals, Baltimore, MD. January 14-15, 2011
- eLearn Workshop Series spring 2012
- Customer Service Training—‘I AM TSU’, at TSU, 2011
IUPAC Sponsored Annual Florida Heterocyclic and Synthetic Conference, Gainesville, FL, March 2014
East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN, Nov 2012,
Middle Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN, Sept, 2011
Fisk University, Nashville, TN
LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis, TN
Member Abstract Review Committee Research Symposium 2014, 2015, TSU
Member Student Awards and Faculty Mentor Award Committee Research Symposium 2014, TSU
Chair: Public relations and syudent affairs committee, 2014-present
Chair: Organic session, 244th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Philadelphia, PA, 2012
Faculty Senate: Tennessee State University since 2007
Chair: Organic session, 237th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, 2009
Member: Graduate Committee, Chemistry Department, TSU, 2010-present
Member: Organic Faculty Search Committee
Member: Lab coordinator Search Committee
Member: Under-graduate Curriculum Committee, Chemistry Department, TSU
Participant: TSU Annual Community Service Day in 2007 and 2009
Member Board of Trust, Bangladesh Association of Nashville
President: Bangladesh Association of Nashville, 2009
Biography for Inclusion: Who’s Who in America 2015 (69th Edition)
Biography for Inclusion: Who’s Who in America 2014 (68th Edition)
Biography for Inclusion: Who’s Who in America 2011 (65th Edition)
Judge, MNPS Project EXPO Trevecca Nazarene University on March 5, 2015