Dr. Mohammad Al-Masum
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Tennessee State University
Boswell 220, 3500 John A Merritt Blvd, Nashville, TN 37209
Tel. 615-963-5339 Fax. 615-963-5326
Ph.D. Received in March 1996, “Palladium Catalyzed Hydrocarbonation of Allenes” with Professor Yoshinori Yamamoto from Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Post-Graduate. Received in September, 1991, “ Claisen Approach to Asymmetric Synthesis of a Brefeldin C Intermediate” with Professor Takeshi Nakai from Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
M.Sc. (Thesis) Received in December, 1986, “The Preparation of Some Aromatic Ketones From The Reaction of Phenyl-Copper-Magnesium Reagent With Acyl Halides” with Professor M. T. Rahman from University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Adjunct Faculty, 06,2010-08, 2010, Fisk University, TN; Adjunct Faculty, 06,2009-08, 2009, Fisk University, TN; Visiting Professor, 06,2006-08,2006, Vanderbilt University, TN; Research Faculty, 07, 2004-07, 2005, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN; Research Faculty, 08, 2002-07, 2004, University of Memphis, TN; Postdoctoral Fellow, 01, 2000-06, 2002, RTI International, RTP, NC; Visiting Professor, 07, 1998-12, 1999, Montana State University, MT; Assistant Professor, 04, 1996-03, 1998, Tohoku University, Japan; Lecturer, 08. 1988-03, 1993, Bangladesh University of Engg & Tech, Dhaka, Bangladesh
2010 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU; 2008 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU; 2007 Faculty Research Award, Sponsored Research Program, TSU. Monbusho (Ministry of Education, Japan) Award: 1993-1996. 26th International UNESCO Fellowship, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, 1990-1991
Chem 5210 Advanced Organic Chemistry, Chem 5110 Graduate Organic Research, Chem 2020 Organic Chemsitry II, 2010 Organic Chemistry I, Chem2021, Organic Chemistry Lab II, Chem2011, Organic Chemistry Lab I, , Chem 1030, General Chemistry I, Chem 1111, General Chemistry Lab I, Fall 2005-present, Tennessee State University (TSU)
Renovating Organic Chemistry Laboratory Curriculum, Fall 2005-present, TSU
Chem 3311, Organic Chemistry, Spring 2003, 2004, University of Memphis, TN
Mentor: Graduate and under-graduate students at TSU, 2005-present
Mentor: Post-doc, Graduate and Under-graduate students at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Developing research laboratory for Post-graduate program and conducted several Chemistry courses, 1988-1993, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Regularly reviewing manuscript for the journal, The Journal of Organic Chemistry, the American Chemical Society publications; Tetrahedron Letters, Elsevier Sciences.
Funding Support: $ 12,000.00 Research and Sponsored Program 2007 Faculty Award
UR proposal for American Chemical Society: Potassium Organotrifluoroborates in Microwave Enhanced Carbonylation Reactions $ 64,775.00 Pending
CCLI(NSF-09-529): Microwave Lab Station for Enhancing Instructional and Research Programs in Chemistry $ 136,661.00 Reviewed,Not Funded
NSF CAREER proposal: Reactions of pronucleophiles with potassium organotrifluoroborates – New look and applications, $ 499,865 Reviewed and Not Funded
Cottrell College Science Awards: Coupling Reactions Involving Potassium Organotrifluoroborates, Pronucleophiles and Transition Metal Catalyst, $ 39,948 Reviewed and Not Funded
Al-Masum, M. (E)-Anethol synthesis by cross-coupling reaction of potassium allyltrifluoroborate and 4-bromoanisole, 2010 Application process is pending.
1. A New organic transformation by introducing crotyl\allyltrifluoroborates in cross-coupling reaction with aroyl chlorides. Al-Masum, M.; Liu, K-Y. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 50, in press.
2. Palladium-catalyzed direct cross-coupling of potassium styryltrifluoroborates and benzoyl chlorides—a one step method for chalcone synthesis. Al-Masum, M.; Ng, E.; Wai, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 52, 1008.
3. A Solvent Free C-Benzoylation and N-Benzoylation Reactions by Using Microwave Heating. Al-Masum, M.; Wai, M. C.; Dunnenberger, H. Synthetic Commun. 2011, 41, 2888.
4. Remarkable regioselectivity in microwave enhanced palladium catalyzed allylation reaction involving allyltrifluoroborates and aryl halides. Al-Masum, M.; Alam, S. Tetrahedron Lett. 2009, 50, 5201.
5. Students’ categorizations of organic compounds: Daniel S. Domin, D. S.; Al-Masum, M.; Mensah, J. Chem. Educ. Res. Pract. 2008, 9, 114.
6. Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions of potassium alkenyltrifluoroborates and allyl acetates: A new method for 1,4-pentadiene synthesis. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 11.
7. Microwave-enhanced cross-coupling of allyl chlorides with vinyltrifluoroborates. Kabalka, G. W.; Dadush, E.; Al-Masum, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2006, 47, 7459.
8. Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving alkenyl- and alkynyltrifluoroborates. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2006, 47, 1133.
9. Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving potassium organotrifluoroborates. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2005, 46, 6329.
10. A new synthetic route to P-Chiral phosphine-boranes of high enantiopurity via stereocontrolled Pd(0)-Cu(I) cocatalyzed aromatic phosphorylation. Al-Masum, M.; Kumaraswamy, G.; Livinghouse, T. J. Org. Chem.2000, 65, 4776.
11. Pd(0)-Cu(I) cocatlyzed phosphorylation of methylphenylphosphine-borane with aryl halides and aryl nonaflates. Al-Masum, M.; Livinghouse, T. Tetrahedron Lett. 1999, 40, 7731.
12. Palladium catalyzed hydrocarboxylation of allenes. Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto, Y. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 3809.
13. Palladium catalyzed hydrosulfination of allenes with tosylhydrazine leading to allylsulfones. Kamijo, S.; Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto. Y. Tetrahedron Lett. 1998, 39, 691.
14. The two component palladium catalyst system for intermolecular hydroamination of allenes. Al-Masum, M.; Meguro, M.; Yamamoto, Y. Tetrahedron Lett 1997, 38, 6071.
15. Palladium catalyzed alkylative dimerization between pronucleophiles and vinyltins. Nakamura, I.; Tsukada, N.; Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto, Y. J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1997, 1583.
16. Palladium catalyzed -addition of pronucleophiles to allenylsulphides. Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; A. Takeda, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1996, 831.
17. Palladium catalyzed addition-substitution reaction of pronucleophiles with allenylstannanes and propargylstannanes. Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; Fujiwara, N.; J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 1996, 381.
18. Palladium catalyzed -addition of certain pronucleophiles to alkoxyallenes. Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M. synlett. 1995, 9, 969.
19. Remarkable reversal of the regioselectivity in the palladium catalyzed hydrocarbonation reaction of allenes with methylmalononitrile. Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; Fujiwara, N.; Asao, N. Tetrahedron Lett. 1995, 36, 2811.
20. Palladium catalyzed addition of activated methylene and methyne compounds to allenes. Yamamoto, Y.; Al-Masum, M.; Asao, N. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1994, 116, 6019.
21. Regio- and stereocontrol in the reductive ring opening of the spirocyclic epoxide derived from the 4-siloxy-2-cyclopentenone. Tomooka, K.; Ishikawa, K.; Al-Masum, M.; Nakai, T. synlett 1993, 9, 645.
22. Preparation of ketones via organocoppermagnesium reagents and acyl chlorides. Rahman, M. T.; Hai, A.K.M.A.; Al-Masum, M.; Nahar, S. K. J. Bdesh. Chem. Soc. 1989, 2, 17.
Articles in conference proceedings
23. Al-Masum, M.; Liu, K-Y.; Ng, E.; Wai, M.; Alam, S. New look of potassium allyltrifluoroborates in carbon-carbon and carbon-nitrogen bond formation reactions 242nd American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, August 28- September 1, 2011. ID # 17218
24. Liu, K-Y.; Al-Masum, M. Unprecedented cross coupling reaction of allyltrifluroborate and benzoyl halides 240th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Boston, MA, August 22-26, 2010, ID # 21799.
25. Ng, E.; Wai, M.; Al-Masum, M. Palladium-catalyzed microwave irradiated direct coupling of potassium arylvinyltrifluoroborates and benzoyl chlorides 240th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Boston, MA, August 22-26, 2010, ID # 21801.
26. Al-Masum, M.; Ng, E. Palladium-catalyzed microwave irradiated cross-coupling reaction of potassium organotrifluoroborates and benzoyl halides 239th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA March 21-25, 2010, ID # 21493
27. Al-Masum, M.; Ng. E. Palladium-catalyzed microwave irradiated cross-coupling reactions for Chalcone synthesis, 30th Annual undergraduate research conference at Memphis, TN, March 7, 2010.
28. Al-Masum, M. Ghazialsharif, N. Catalyst free oxazolidine synthesis using aldehydes and ketones with 2-(methylamino) ethanol. Tennessee Academy of Science, Belmont University, April18, 2009.
29. Al-Masum, M. Alam, S. Microwave irradiated palladium catalyzed cross-coupling reaction of potassium allyltrifluoroborates and organic halides. 237th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, United States, March 22-27, 2009 Abstract ID # 12555472.
30. Al-Masum, M. Discovery chemistry by undergraduate and master’s level students at Tennessee State University. 118th meeting of Tennessee Academy of Science, Nashville, TN, United States, November 20-22, 2008.
31. Al-Masum, M.; Alam, S., Wai, M. Microwave irradiated palladium catalyzed cross-coupling reaction of potassium allyltrifluoroborates and organic Halides. Abstracts, 60th Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN, United States, November 12-15 (2008).
32. Al-Masum, M.; Dunnenberger, H. Synthesis of ketones from potassium organotrifluoroborates and benzoyl bromide/chloride. 235th ACS national Meeting & Exposition. New Orleans, LA, April 6-11, 2008, Abstract ID # 1170081.
33. Al-Masum, M.; Wai, M; Dunnenberger, H. A New Look of AlCl3 in Microwave Irradiated Solvent Free Benzoylation Reaction. Abstracts, 60th Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN, United States, November 12-15, 2008.
34. Al-Masum, M. Pd-catalyzed coupling of C-H activated compounds with potassium organotrifluoroborates. Gordon Research Conferences, ORGANIC REACTIONS & PROCESSES, July 13-18, 2008, Bryant University, Smithfield, RI Abstract ID # 1828559.
35. Al-Masum, M. Unprecedented cross-coupling of potassium vinyltrifluoroborates and allyl acetates in the presence of palladium catalyst. 5th International Microwave in Chemistry Conference, Imperial College, London, UK, April 18-20, 2007.
36. Al-Masum, M.; Akther, J. Microwave enhanced amination reactions involving dihalocompounds. Abstract, 233rd ACS National Meeting, Chicago, IL, March 25-28, 2007, Abstract ID# 1032809.
37. Al-Masum, M. Microwave enhanced palladium catalyzed cross-coupling reactions involving organotrifluoroborates. Abstract of papers, 4th International Microwaves in Chemistry Conference, Orlando, FL, March 8-11, 2006.
38. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Microwave-enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving potassium organotrifluoroborates. Abstract of papers, ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, August 28 - September 1, 2005.
39. Al-Masum, M.; Burkey, Theodore J. Bismuth oxide: A new catalyst for oxazolidine synthesis under mild conditions. Abstracts of papers, 228th ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, United States, August 22-26, 2004.
40. Al-Masum, M.; Burkey, Theodore J. Synthesis of side chain derivatives of cyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl and benzene chromium tricarbonyl. Abstracts of Papers, 226th ACS National Meeting, New York, NY, United States, September 7-11, 2003 (2003).
41. Burkey, Ted; To, Tung T.; Duke, Charles B., III; Al-Masum, M. Photochromic properties of manganese and chromium complexes undergoing chelate ring closure and linkage isomerization. Abstracts of Papers, 225th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, United States, March 23-27, 2003 (2003).
42. Nice,L. E.; Al-Masum, M.; Narske, R. M.; Thomas, B. F.; Seltzman, H. H. Conformationally constrained anandamide analogs as probes of the cannabinoid receptors, Abstracts of Papers, 10th annual international cannabinoid research society meeting, Hunt Valley, MD, June, 2000.
43. Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto, Yoshinori. Palladium catalyzed hydrocarboxylation of allenes. Abstracts of Papers, The Fifth International symposium on carbanion chemistry, Sendai, Japan, August, 1998.
44. Al-Masum, M.; Dunnenberger, H. Synthesis of ketone from potassium organotrifluoroborates and benzoyl bromide/chloride. 235th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 6-10, 2008. Abstract ID # 1170081.
45. Al-Masum, M.; Yamamoto, Yoshinori. Palladium catalyzed hydrocarboxylation of allenes. Abstracts of Papers, International conference on synthetic organic chemistry at Kyoto, Japan, July, 1997.
46. Al-Masum, M. Many of the works have appeared in the Japan Chemical Society annual meeting abstracts in the years (1994 - 1997).
Professional Developments (Workshops, Training)
1. NSF-HBCU faculty workshop for HBCU institutions, New Orleans, LA, January 24, 2011.
2. 2011 TBR Research Development Symposium, Nashville, TN, March 25, 2011.
3. NSF sponsored QEM network workshop on Information and proposal development for the NSF proposals, Baltimore, MD. January 14-15, 2011
4. Customer Service Training—‘I AM TSU’, at TSU, 2011
5. NSF sponsored Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) network workshop for NSF’s CAREER Program. New Orleans, LA. February 27-28, 2009
6. NSF sponsored Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) network workshop for NSF’s Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) Program. Baltimore, MD. October 27-28, 2006
7. NSF sponsored Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) network workshop for NSF’s CAREER Program. Memphis, TN. February 10-11, 2006
8. Customer Service Training—‘I AM TSU’, at TSU, April 14, 2009
9. Effective Management of Student Conduct at TSU, December 10, 2008
10. Banner Training in 2008
Middle Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN
Fisk University, Nashville, TN
LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis, TN
University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh
Faculty Senate: Tennessee State University since 2007
Chair: One of the organic sessions in 237th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, 2009
Member: Graduate Committee, Chemistry Department, TSU
Member: Graduate Instrumentation Committee, Chemistry Department, TSU
Member: Text Book Adoption Committee, Chemistry Department, TSU
Participant: TSU Annual Community Service Day in 2007 and 2009
Judge Tennessee Academy of Science 2010 meeting
K to 12 Class: voluntary science laboratory class at Head magnet middle school at Nashville, TN
Recruitment: Introduced TSU Chemistry program at Middle Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN; Fisk University, Nashville, TN ; LeMoyne-Owen College, Memphis and University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh
President: Bangladesh Association of Nashville, 2009
Biography for Inclusion: 2011 Edition of Who’s Who in America