Biological Sciences Department
Preparing You for Your Profession in Biology
The Department offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) - General Biology
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) - Cell and Molecular Biology
- Bachelor of Sciences (B.S.) - Teacher Certification/Licensure (Grades 7-12)
- Master of Science (M.S.) - Biology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Biological Sciences
A variety of courses in the botanical, microbiological, molecular biological and zoological life science areas are offered at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The Department also has a cooperative program with Meharry Medical College in which students complete their TSU degree while working on a medical or dental degree at Meharry, thus saving a year in their education.
The Bachelor of Science program provides training in the basic biological sciences leading to the bachelor of science degree in biology for:
- pre-health professionals
- entry into life science graduate training programs
- acquisition of entry level positions in the job market
- students seeking certification for secondary teaching careers, and
- graduate training leading to the master of science and doctor of philosophy degrees
During the past decade, more than 90% of our graduates who have gone on to graduate and professional schools have performed successfully and have entered society to provide service and leadership as life scientists.
FACILITIES & LOCATION
The Department of Biological Sciences occupies modern teaching and research facilities on both the Main Campus and the Avon Williams (Downtown Nashville) Campus. In support of its teaching and research programs, the Department is well equipped with the latest in audio-visual and state-of-the-art scientific equipment. Through these holdings, students are afforded the use of extensive teaching aids, as well as hands-on experience in the use of modern scientific instrumentation.
On the Main Campus, the Department is housed in Harned Hall and McCord Hall.
Terrance L. Johnson
Dr. Terrance L. Johnson
Professor and Head, Department of Biological Sciences
Tennessee State University
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
Telephone: (615) 963-5681
Like us on Twitter @tnstatebiology
Like us on Facebook @ TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY BIOLOGY
Apply for admission, request information, or contact Tennessee State University today.