Got questions?

What level should I sign up for?          
If you are planning to enroll in our Intensive English Program, you must make an appointment for a placement test unless you are at the introductory course. This placement test evaluates your skills in English and gives us a better idea of the course you should enroll in.

Do I need a TOEFL score to be accepted?
No, you don’t. We only ask for a TOEFL score to help us get a better idea of your current English level.

Is admission to the Intensive English Center the same as admission to Tennessee State University?
No, there are two separate admissions processes. IEC teaches English to international students. Many students who wish to study for a degree at Tennessee State University prepare to meet the university's English requirement by attending our center. Tennessee State University requires a minimum score of 61 on the TOEFL exam for undergraduate programs and 71 for graduate programs. Ask us about this.

How long will it take me to learn?
How fast you can learn English will depend on you! This means finding your best method for remembering and being able to apply the things you have learned in class. For most people, a combination of studying English and then finding a way to be immersed in it is the best combination. Here at the Center we provide you with the classes, and we also guide you to activities in and around the city which will have a lasting impact on your learning process while you are in Nashville.

When can I begin?
We have continuous enrollment–this means students can join English classes anytime. After you take a placement test, you will join a class that fits your level and your schedule. If your level is not offered or if your schedule does not fit our schedule, we will place you into the most appropriate available class or place you on a waiting list. Another option is taking a private class tailored to your level and schedule.

Can I be a part-time student?
Students holding an F-1 visa are required by the U.S. immigration regulations to be a full-time student. Some visa types allow you to be part-time or less than full time students. (Please contact our office if you have questions.)

Do you help with visas?
Yes, we do. We can guide you in the process to obtain your F1 Visa to enroll in our Intensive English Program. Some of our programs do not require an F1 Visa, but we can guide you in the process to obtain your B, J or H Visa.

How do I apply for my student (F-1) visa?
After you receive your I-20, you will need to pay your SEVIS fee. As soon as your SEVIS fee is paid, you will need to contact the US Embassy to make a visa appointment. We will send you a complete list of steps to continue with your Visa process. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Does IEC at TSU have computers for student use?
Yes! Computer labs, and free WiFi is available for all students at TSU, so students can communicate with their friends and families. Students may use the computers at the Library and other locations on campus. However, we do encourage that students bring their own laptop to school with them.

Do you have an activities program?
We are constantly planning trips and activities both on and off campus. We want to help students learn about American culture, and provide an opportunity for them to interact with native speakers of English in a safe environment.

Should I bring my medication prescription?
Students taking prescription medication should bring enough to last through the entire program. Medication should be transported in the original packaging along with a copy of the prescription.

Can I park my car on campus?
Yes, but you will need to purchase a TSU student parking permit before you park. Parking on campus without the proper permit may result in an expensive ticket or towing charge.

Do you have any other questions???
Contact Us

Lee esta información en Español