Tryout Information for the 2016-2017 Athletic Season
Thank you for your interest in the Spirit Programs at Tennessee State University. Our programs include co-ed and all girl cheer programs. We are currently excepting video submissions only for our Co-ed team with the required skills listed below. Videos are due in by Thursday, March 31, 2016 by 4:30pm (cst). Videos should be sent with a completed application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or mailed to the PO box below. You will be notified via email once your tryout packet is received.
Work weekend for selected candidates from the video submission only will be Friday, April 22nd at 5:00pm till Sunday, April 24th at 3:00pm. This will not be open to the public but by invited ONLY. Location will be announced to invited candidates.
All Girl team videos with the required skills listed below are due no later than August 1, 2016 by 4:30pm (cst). Videos should be sent with a completed application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or mailed to the PO box below. You will be notified once your tryout packet is received.
How to Become a TSU Cheerleader
- Incoming freshman ARE eligible to try out.
- Transfer students with a minimum GPA of 2.0 are eligible to tryout.
- Current TSU students must be enrolled full-time (12 hours) and GPA of 2.3 to be eligible to tryout.
- Try out packet must be submitted one week prior to the first round of auditions.
- The Head coach makes the final team selections after advisement from judging panel.
- You will need to bring proof of medical insurance including the policy number to the first round of auditions.
The proper attire for the final day is:
- Males should wear solid royal blue shorts and a white polo-style collared shirt.
- Females should wear solid royal blue Soffee style shorts and white sports bra or racer tank.
- For all other sessions, any color T-shirts and shorts will be appropriate.
- Please make sure you DO NOT wear another university, all-star, or high school clothing while trying out for the TSU Cheerleading Squad. Other than TSU-related apparel, your practice clothes should be completely neutral of any school or gym affiliation. You will be judged on appearance so consider clothing that is appropriate. No jewelry! Every day, females hair should be half up and curled with their choice of bow.
Audition Material Requirements
A cheer, chant, and sideline will be taught at the clinic. One required stunt will be included in the cheer and one optional stunt must be included in the chant or sideline.
Fight Song: We will teach at clinic.
REQUIRED SKILLS FOR CO-ED AND ALL-GIRL
Coed (male base/female flyer) All girl Stunts
Toss hands extension Double base extension
Toss hands liberty Double base liberty
All dismounts should be a cradle or full downs All dismounts should be a cradle or full down
Optional stunt or combination Optional Stunt or combination
Tumbling (all females)
Standing back handspring
Round off back handspring
Optional running tumbling skill
Male Basic Requirements
BRING TO TRYOUT
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance to TSU (You can also submit it with your application if you have it by then)
- Consent Form/Proof of Insurance
- No loose clothing for safety reasons
Download Application Packet (save to your PC; then unzip it onto your PC)
SUBMITTING APPLICATION PACKETS
Completed application packets are due one week prior to scheduled tryout weekend. Send to:
TSU Spirit Department
PO Box 1245
3500 John Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
OR via interoffice mail on-campus
Please contact the Spirit Office: