Tryout dates for the 2015-2016 Athletic Season
How to Become a TSU Cheerleader
- Incoming freshman ARE eligible to try out.
- Transfer students with a minimum GPA of 2.0 are eligible to try out.
- Current TSU students must be enrolled full-time (12 hours) to be eligible to try out.
- Try out packet must be submitted one week prior to the first round of auditions.
- The coach makes the final team selections after advisement from judging panel.
- You will need to bring proof of medical insurance including the policy number to the first round of auditions.
The proper attire for the final day is:
- Males should wear solid royal blue shorts and a white polo-style collared shirt.
- Females should wear solid royal blue Soffee style shorts and white sports bra or racer tank.
- For all other sessions, any color T-shirts and shorts will be appropriate.
- Please make sure you DO NOT wear another university, all-star, or high school clothing while trying out for the TSU Cheerleading Squad. Other than TSU-related apparel, your practice clothes should be completely neutral of any school or gym affiliation. You will be judged on appearance so consider clothing that is appropriate. No jewelry! Every day, females hair should be half up and curled with their choice of bow.
Audition Material Requirements
A cheer, chant, and sideline will be taught at the clinic. One required stunt will be included in the cheer and one optional stunt must be included in the chant or sideline.
Fight Song: We will teach you a fight song.
REQUIRED SKILLS FOR CO-ED AND ALL-GIRL
Coed / All girl Stunts
Toss hands extension/ Double base extension
Toss hands liberty/ Double base liberty
All dismounts should be a cradle or full downs
Tumbling (all females)
Standing back handspring
Round off back handspring
Optional running tumbling skill
Toss hands extension
Toss hands liberty
BRING TO TRYOUT
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance to TSU (You can also submit it with your application if you have it by then)
- Consent Form/Proof of Insurance
- No loose clothing for safety reasons
Download Application Packet (save to your PC; then unzip it onto your PC)
SUBMITTING APPLICATION PACKETS
Completed application packets are due one week prior to scheduled tryout weekend. Send to:
TSU Spirit Department
PO Box 1245
3500 John Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
OR via interoffice mail on-campus
Please contact the Spirit Office: