A2 Admission Assessment
Nursing Requirements for ASN and BSN
The A2 Admission Assessment is required for admission to the ASN and BSN programs in the TSU School of Nursing. The A2 Admission Assessment is published by Evolve/Elsevier and is sometimes referred to as the HESI Entrance Test. The A2 Admission Assessment includes many parts, however, the parts you are required to take depend on the program to which you are applying.
TSU ASN A2 Admission Assessment--required subtests:
- Reading Comprehension
- Personality Profile
- Learning Styles
TSU BSN A2 Admission Assessment--required subtests:
- Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge
Individual parts of the A2 Admission Assessment are not timed, however, the total test session is limited to three (3) hours. Examinees are responsible for taking the correct parts of the A2 and adhering to the admission requirements established by the programs and/or schools to which they are applying.
Schedule & Location
The A2 Admission Assessment schedule is available on the TSU Testing Center website. Note that separate test dates and times are scheduled for the ASN Admission Assessment and the BSN Admission Assessment.
***The Main Campus Testing Center is temporarily closed due to building renovation. The A2 Admission Assessment exam is currently being administered in McCord Hall Room 020. Always check your Payment ID email for current location.
See Testing Schedule .
Total cost of the exam is $60.50. Exam fees are non-refundable and cannot be used for rescheduling or transferred to another person. Examinees are responsible for selecting the correct test, correct date, and correct time when test fees are paid. Examinees are also responsible for paying the test fee in two steps, $23.50 paid when you register for a specific test date and $37.00 paid to Evolve when you receive the specific Payment ID email.
Study guides may be purchased in the Tennessee State University Bookstore or online at www.amazon.com . The name of the study guide is the HESI Evolve Admission Assessment Exam Review, 3rd edition (ISBN: 978-1-4557-0333-3).
After you complete each part of the test you will see your score for that part of the test. When you complete all parts of the test you will click on Summary Score Report and your Admission Assessment Report will be printed before you leave the Testing Center.
A more detailed score report will be emailed to the address you provided when you create your Evolve account. It may be several weeks before you receive the detailed scores report. When you receive your email from Evolve regarding your score report, this also indicates that you can access your Evolve account and order additional score reports.
A2 Admission Assessment Score Reports are available only from Evolve. Score Reports are not available through the TSU Testing Center.
The test administrators/proctors will not interpret what scores mean or advise students regarding A2 Admission Assessment results. Required scores are determined by each TSU Nursing program.
Test Registration and Test Fee Payment
There are three steps in the Test Registration and Fee Payment process that you must complete before you can take the A2 Admission Assessment at the TSU Testing Center. You must begin this process in advance so that there is adequate time for each step and you meet all deadlines. Note that there are seat limits for each test session and test registration is on a first come basis.
Step One: Select Test Date and Pay Registration/Administration Fee:
- Deadline for this step is one week in advance so that there is sufficient time for the other steps in the process.
- Select either the ASN A2 or the BSN A2
- Choose your test date and time
- Pay the $23.50 Registration/administration fee by credit card (includes $3.50 processing fee)
- You will get a confirmation by email and you must print this confirmation and bring it when you report to take your exam.
Step Two: Create a Student Evolve Account:
- There is no cost for this step.
- Go to https://evolve.elsevier.com and complete the steps to open an Evolve account and get a username and password. Be sure to complete the entire registration process in Evolve.
- You must know your evolve username and password when you report to take your exam.
Step Three: Payment of Evolve Test Fee:
- After you complete Step One you should wait until the day AFTER the registration deadline date and then you will receive an email from the Testing Center which includes the information needed to pay your exam fee online, this fee is $37.00 (includes $2 processing fee).
- Deadline for this step is one day in advance of the test date you scheduled in Step One.
On Test Day
- You must report 15 minutes before your scheduled exam time.
- You must bring valid, government-issued, photo ID in the same name as your test registration.
- You should bring your registration confirmation.
- You should bring your exam receipt.
- You must know your Evolve username and password.
If you do not meet one or more of the above requirements, you will not be able to take your exam and you will need to register for a future test date and pay all required fees for that future date.
The TSU School of Nursing requires that you wait 30 days before re-taking the A2 Admission Assessment. When you receive your detailed score report from Evolve it will include remediation suggestions that may be helpful as you prepare for re-testing.