Farrell Westbrook Complex (The Barn)
Agricultural Research and Extension Complex
The Barn serves varying venues. It houses a multipurpose room with a large serving area to accompany it.
Equipped to handle large speaking events, it features acoustical ceilings, covered walls, carpeted floors, and state of the art audio-visual equipment. Equipment includes control lecterns with computers, DVD, automatic screens, background music, document projectors, portable microphones, and assisted hearing devices.
James E. Farrell – Fred E. Westbrook (The Dairy Barn) was renovated with 1988 federal facilities funding designated for the Cooperative Extension Program (CEP) and the Institute of Agricultural & Environmental Research (IAgER) formerly known as the Cooperative Agricultural Research Program (CARP). These departments occupied the building in July 1992. In 1992, the building was renamed the Agriculture Research and extension Complex but is still referred to nostalgically as The Barn. Current occupants include the Cooperative Extension Program and the Institute for Agricultural and Environmental Research.
On May 4, 2000, the building was renamed the James E. Farrell-Fred E. Westbrook Agricultural Research and extension Complex in honor of these two pioneers. Dr. James E. Farrell was the first 1890 Extension administrator, who served from 1971-1989. Dr. Fred E. Westbrook was Professor and head of the Department of Plant Science.
In August 2004, major renovations of the auditorium (multi-purpose room) and the first floor restrooms were completed. The auditorium was renovated to serve as an overflow facility for the new Distance Education Center. Renovations included acoustical ceiling, covered walls, new lighting, increased storage, carpeted floors, and state of the art audio-visual equipment. Equipment includes control lecterns with computers, DVD, automatic screens, power point, background music, document projectors, portable microphones, and assisted hearing devices.
Over $200,000 was used to transform this area into a 3,715 sq. ft. multipurpose room and a 286 sq. ft. serving area. Additionally, a 150 ton Chiller ($139,000) was installed to ensure cooling for the entire building.