Improving the Lives & Working Environment of Women
The Women's Center envisions a safe, diverse environment that will help to improve the lives and working environment of all women at Tennessee State University as well as the surrounding community. Students, faculty and staff can:
- learn about resources available on campus and in the community,
- receive assistance in a crisis,
- engage in intellectual and stimulating discussion,
- or simply enjoy a place of meditation and relaxation.
The center develops and sponsors programming that enhances the skills of women and assists in their development as scholars and professionals. Lastly, the center works closely with the university's Women's Studies Program to provide academic courses that explore issues of gender, sexuality and inequality through examination of the lives and efforts of women.
The Women's Center will also collaborate with various community organizations to provide opportunities that are more equitable for women through:
- and support.
To enhance the academic experience and personal development of all women by providing an inclusive and supportive environment as well as promoting gender and women issues.
The Women's Center will foster a diverse environment where women can develop, become empowered, and feel safe.
HOLISTIC SERVICE APPROACH
The Women's Center will take a holistic service approach focusing in on the social, occupational, economical, intellectual, emotional, physical, political, and spiritual aspects in women's lives by concentrating on four broad categories of needs:
Health and Nutrition
Tackling Eating Disorders
Love Your Body Day
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Preventing Violence Against Women
Sexual Assault Awareness Month
"Take Back the Night" (healing for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence)
Domestic Violence, date rape, and stalking
Career and Professional Development
Career/Professional Development Brown Bag Series
Navigating the Tenure Track
Maximizing your opportunity as a Graduate Assistant
Achieving Work/Life Balance
National Women's History Month activities (Women of Legend and Merit and others)
Pay Equity Day
Cultural Images of Women
Additionally, the center will provide programs to support:
- Women in Athletics
- Women in Honors
- Women in the Arts
- Women in Theater
- Women in Music
- Women in Engineering
- Women in Business
The advisory board consists of community stakeholders interested in the mission and vision of the center. This board will:
- assist the center's staff in implementing the objectives of the center by offering advice and counsel,
- promote the center's programs and services,
- identify issues and concerns affecting women and women's issues and recommend appropriate solutions to the staff,
- recommend to the center staff pilot projects which enhance the dialogue about gender issues,
- attend quarterly advisory board meetings, and
- assist in the acquisition of sufficient resources for the center's operations and programs.