The Teacher Education Program at TSU prepares competent and caring facilitators of learning, committed to diversity and the success of all. Ready2Teach (R2T), a clinically-rich, co-teaching residency model, helps TSU accomplish its teacher education mission. Enhanced by the Educative Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA)—a performance-based approach to candidate evaluation—R2T prepares new teachers to be ready to teach from day one in the classroom.
Office: 112 Clay Hall
What is Ready2Teach?
- Requires a year-long co-teaching residency in the schools
- Consists of Residency 1 (minimum 50% co-teaching) and Residency 2 (100 % co-teaching)
- Establishes strong partnership with schools and school-based mentors
- Utilizes problem-based learning (analysis of authentic cases)
- Designed to improve P-12 student outcomes
- Intended to help public schools meet their goals and address needs
What is the Educative Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA®)?
- Measures candidate readiness to teach using a performance-based portfolio
- Develop four written commentaries that demonstrate skills, knowledge, and use of research in subject-specific pedagogy
- context for learning
- planning for instruction and assessment
- instructing and engaging students in learning
- assessing student learning)
- Design and produce assessments, instructional materials, lesson plans, and unedited video clips (not more than twenty minutes)
- Submit all digital files and resources to the Pearson ePortfolio system.
- Earn a passing edTPA score of 37 out of 75.
- Learn more about edTPA, click here .
How does R2T benefit partner schools?
- Candidates as co-teachers provide assistance in the classroom
- Mutual development of skills as mentor teachers and candidates engage in co-teaching
- Candidates able to provide individual attention and tutoring to students
- Opportunity for recruitment of highly qualified new teachers
- Opportunities for professional development from university faculty
- The TPA as part of R2T prepares candidates for the TEAM evaluation
TSU Ready 2 Teach Events
Summer / Fall 2016
Last Chance: Aug 24, 2016 All Application(s) Deadline for Admission, Permission to Enter into Residency I(UG), Student Teaching(G) ***All Test Scores due by Aug 24, 2016 No Exceptions***
Fall: October 1, 2016 All Application(s) Deadline for Admission, Permission to Enter into Residency II(UG), Student Teaching(G) ***All Praxis Test Scores due by November 1, 2016***
Any questions please contact the TESS office directly 615-963-5459 or JoNatalyn Mercer email: email@example.com
Undergraduate Admission Application
Teacher Education Program Undergraduate Admission Application Packet will be accepted til 2:00pm on deadline date. Application is located on the TESS website www.tnstate.edu/teachered under News and Announcements.
Graduate Admission Application and/or Student Teaching Application
Teacher Education Program Graduate Admission Application Packet will be accepted til 2:00pm on deadline date.
Student Teaching Applications for SPRING 2017 due Fall of 2016 til by 2:00pm on deadline date.
All applications may be found on the Teacher Education and Student Services page: www.tnstate.edu/teachered