Surendra P. Singh
Coordinator of Graduate Program
Department of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
College of Agriculture, Human and Natural Sciences
Office Location: 101 Lawson Hall
Research Areas and Expertise:
Small and Part-time farms, Micro and Small Business, Marketing of Agricultural Products, Agribusiness and Rural Development. Expertise in developing and evaluating curriculum in Agribusiness and Agricultural Economics, and developing, conducting short-term training in business and entrepreneurship development.
Author, Co-author of over eighty five (85) refereed publications, over one hundred (100) research bulletins, magazine articles, and conference proceedings. Also published a book titled “Perspectives on The Small Farms” and book chapters. Presented over 100 papers at international, national and regional conferences.
Most Significant Publications:
1. Singh, Surendra P., Fisseha Tegegne, and Sam Comer.(2009) “Rural America in the 21st Century: Structure of Rural Entrepreneurship and Rural Development Challenges” in Perspectives on Agripreneurship and Rural Development, R.K. Pandey, P.S. Tripathi,S.K. Dubey , and Ashish Bajpai (Eds), Excel India Publishers, New Delhi, India.
2. Ali, Jabir; Singh, Surendra P.; and Enefiok Ekanem 2009 “Efficiency and Productivity Changes in Indian Food Processing Industry: Determinants and Policy Implications” International Food and Agribusiness Management Review Vol.12 (1):1-25.
3. Singh, S.P., H.N. Mookherjee and S. Muhammad. (2004) “Micro and Small Scale Enterprises in Java: A Gender Based Comparative Analysis of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Performance of Enterprises” in Thomas R. Leinbach (Ed.), The Indonesian Rural Economy: Mobility, Work and Enterprise (pp. 152-181). Institute of Southeast Asian Studies Press; Singapore.
4. Singh, Surendra P.; F. Tegegne. Ekanem; and S. Muhammad( 2007) “Rice Industry in Cambodia: Marketing System and Impediments to Improvements” Journal of Food Distribution Research: Proceedings Issue, Vol. 38 (1):141-147.
5. Surendra P. Singh, Ruthie G. Reynolds and Safdar Muhammad (2001) “A Gender based Comparative Analysis of Characteristics of Micro and Small businesses and Factors Effecting Their Performance. Journal of Small Business Management. 2001 39(2): 64-72.
6. Singh, Surendra P.; E. Ekanem; F. Tegegne, and S Muhammed. 2005 “Globalization, Agro-Industrialization and U.S. Food Industry: Opportunities and Challenges” in Galen S. Hull (Ed.), Globalization and Urbanization: Opportunities and Challenges (pp 167-180). Tennessee State University, Office of International Business Programs.’ Nashville, Tennessee.
7. Ali, Jabir; Singh, Surendra P.; and Safdar Muhammad 2007 “High –Value Agriculture and Structural Changes in Indian Meat Industry: Implications for Agribusiness and Small Farmers” Journal of Food Distribution Research: Proceedings Issue, Vol. 38 (1):1-9.
Graduate Courses: Agribusiness Management and Market Analysis; Food and Fiber Industry and Policy; International Trade and Marketing; Agribusiness Strategy; Statistics for Research; Research Methods; Rural Development and Resource Economics; Environmental, Resource Economics and management; Program Planning in Vocational Education.
Undergraduate Courses: Introduction to Agribusiness (Part I), Introduction to Agribusiness (Part II), Sample Survey Theory and Techniques, Experimental Design, Agricultural Policy, Health Economics.
Developed and offered training programs for trainers and workshops for entrepreneurs in developing and operating small businesses in Tennessee and abroad.
Awards and Honors:
1. Inducted into the Agriculture and Home Economics Hall of Fame, Tennessee State University, Nashville, Tennessee. November, 2010
2. 2009-2010 Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences, Tennessee State University.
3. 2005-2006 Outstanding Faculty Award, School of Agriculture and Consumer Science, Tennessee State University.
4. 2005-2008 Appointed as a Member of the Board for the U.S. –India Knowledge Initiative in Agriculture, Teaching, Research and Out-reach, announced by President Bush and Prime Minister of India.
5. 2003-2004 Appointed as a member of the National Food and Agribusiness Management Education Commission.
1997 Distinguished Faculty Researcher Award, Tennessee State University, Nashville.
B.Sc (Ag). –Agra University, Agra, India
M.Sc (Ag). – Agra University, Agra, India
Ph.D. – Pennsylvania State University
Date joined staff : 1972