Maintenance of  Immigration Status

Keep your i20 Active

F-1 and J-1 students, maintenance of status is the individual student's responsibility. Students should read the information in this section carefully.

Students can maintain their active status on I20 by doing the following things:



Immigration regulations require all individuals in F and J status (including dependents) to report changes in their address - both home country address and local U.S. address.

Students may update their address by either going online or coming to ODIA office and filling out a Change of Address form.

Address change online - click here

Employment Status:

If you change your address and are working on campus or off-campus. It is important to update your contact information.



Both F-1 and J-1 students must maintain full-time academic status. Full-time enrollment in online class is a violation of F-1 and J-1 status. Undergraduate students in F-1 or J-1 status should enroll for a minimum of twelve (12) credits. Graduate students will enroll for minimum nine (9) credits. Students do not have to be enrolled in summer unless they were admitted for summer.

Note: All exceptions granted by the International Student Adviser. Exceptions to full-time study due to academic difficulties are limited to one semester during the entire program of study; documented medical illnesses are limited to one year during the program of study. Failure to enroll for full-time study or to obtain approval from the International Student Adviser in advance is automatically out-of-status.

Your I-20 or DS-2019 must reflect accurate information.  You should request a new I-20 or DS-2019 if you notice a mistake on your I-20/DS-2019 or if there is a change in any of the following information:

  • major
  • name
  • country of citizenship
  • primary source of funding

For changes in major, request a new document.

Program Extension:

An F-1 student who is unable to complete a full-course of study in a timely manner must apply for a program extension before the completion date in Section #5 on the form I-20.

A program extension may be granted if the student has maintained status and the delay is caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illnesses. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extension.

Students who need to apply for extension may begin the application process at the beginning of the semester in which the I-20 expires and no later than 30 days before the completion date on the I-20.









webpage contact: