Dr. Erdem Erdemir
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Areas of Interest
Meso-scale robotics, Micro-scale Robotics, Machine Learning, and Nanotechnology.
Postdoc, Storm Lab, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
M.Sc. in Systems and Control Engineering, Bogazici University, , Istanbul, Turkey.
B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Dr. Erdemir has extensive experience in science & engineering, combining diverse areas such as mechatronics, cognitive science, meso-scale robotics and nanotechnology. Skilled in process analysis, modeling systems, developing innovative technical and theoretical solutions and creating new engineering approaches. Worked in the industry as an R&D Leader and project manager for 3 years. Dr. Erdemir is working on an innovative approach to active locomotion for capsular robots in the colorectal district , CNT based batteries and nanorobots.
C Programming, C# Programming, Game Programming, Artificial Intelligence, Embedded Systems, Control Systems.
- Mitch Wilkes, Erdem Erdemir and Kazuhiko Kawamura, A Neuromorphically-Inspired Architecture for Cognitive Robots, Neuromorphic and Brain-Based Robotic, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- K. Kawamura, S. M. Gordon, P. Ratanaswasd, E. Erdemir, and J. F. Hall, "Implementation of cognitive control for a humanoid robot," Int. Journal of Humanoid Robotics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1-40, 2008.
- Erdem Erdemir, Mitch Wilkes and Kazuhiko Kawamura, "A Developmental Approach for Imitation and Affordance Learning for Cognitive Robots" (in prep.)
- Brian Lawson, H. Atakan Varol, Amanda Huff, Erdem Erdemir, and Michael Goldfarb, "Finite State-Based Impedance Controllers for Stair Ascent and Descent with a Powered Transfemoral Prosthesis," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering (accepted)"
- Erdem Erdemir, D.M. Wilkes, Kazuhiko Kawamura and Aysu Erdemir, "Learning Structural Affordances through Self-Exploration," IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN), 2012.
- Huan Tan, Erdem Erdemir, Kazuhiko Kawamura, Qian Du, "A potential field method-based extension of the dynamic movement primitive algorithm for imitation learning with obstacle avoidance," Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), pg.525-530, 2011.
- D.M. Wilkes, S. Franklin, E. Erdemir, S. Gordon, S. Strain, K. Miller and K. Kawamura, "Heterogeneous Artificial Agents for Triage Nurse Assistance," In 2010 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoids Robots, pp. 130-137, December 6-8, 2010.
- Erdem Erdemir, M. Ozkan, K. Kawamura, D. M. Wilkes, M. Firat and A. Polat, "Design and Optimization of a Fuzzy-Neural Hybrid Controller for an Artificial Muscle Robotic Arm Using Genetic Algorithms," In 2010 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoids Robots, pp. 530-535, December 6-8, 2010.
- E. Erdemir, C.B. Frankel, K. Kawamura, S.M. Gordon, S. Thornton and B. Ulutas, "Towards a Cognitive Robot that Uses Internal Rehearsal to Learn Affordance Relations," International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 2016 - 2021, Nice , France, 2008.
- E. Erdemir, C.B. Frankel, S. Thornton, B. Ulutas and K. Kawamura, "A Robot Rehearses Internally and Learns an Affordance Relation," International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL), pp. 298-303, Monterey, CA, August 9-12, 2008.
- B. Ulutas, E. Erdemir and K. Kawamura, "Application of a Hybrid Controller with Non-Contact Impedance to a Humanoid Robot", 10th International Workshop on Variable Structure Systems, pp. 378 - 383, Antalya, Turkey, June 8-10, 2008.
- Kawamura, K., Gordon, S., Ratanaswasd, P., Garber, C., and Erdemir, E. "Implementation of Cognitive Control for Robots", Proc. of the 4th COE Workshop on Human Adaptive Mechatronics (HAM), pp. 41-54, Tokyo Denki University, Japan, March 2-3, 2007A.
- Erdemir, E. Erdemir, E. Bingham, S. Beck and J. Rieser, "The Coupling of Gesture and Sound: The Kinematics of Cross-Modal Matching for Hand Conducting Gestures and Accompanying Vocal Sounds," International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, 2012.
- A. Erdemir, E. Erdemir and J. J. Rieser, "A Kinematic Model for Perceived Musical Tempo," 11th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, August 23-27, 2010.
- A. Erdemir, E. Erdemir and J. J. Rieser, "A perception-action model for similarities in perceived musical tempo and the kinematics of physical action," Society for Music Perception and Cognition Biennial Conference, August 3-6, 2009.