Becoming a Tiger Gem
2017-2018 Tiger Gem Tryout
One purpose of the tryout is to select a group who possess the best mastery of pom, jazz, and hip hop. A second purpose is to determine the best representatives for Tennessee State University. During tryouts, a panel of judges and specialists in this field will make cuts until the final team is selected. The format of the tryout covers two mandatory days of clinic and tryout, where skills and routines are taught. Participants will also showcase a home routine (1 minute) on the final day.
Advance execution of kicks, split leaps, triple/quadruple pirouettes, switch leaps, fouettes, toe-touches, and flexibility are required skills for this squad.
Clothing for the tryout clinics are long/short sports bra and shorts. No loose-fitting clothes are allowed. Knee pads are suggested. NO JEWELRY!
Before the clinics and tryout:
Please make sure you are committed to being a student here by applying for admittance. Making the squad will not ensure admittance to our university. ( www.tnstate.edu )
Learn more about our squads by checking out our website. ( www.tnstate.edu/dance )
Make sure you are in top physical condition by stretching, working out, and practicing your skills.
Make sure you have a current physical, your sports physical should be on file at your school and with your Doctor. You will need a copy.
All participants must sign a TSU athletic Indemnity Agreement waiver before participating in any TSU dance clinics or tryouts. If you are younger than 18, participant and parents/guardian must sign the liability waiver before you can participate. Please read, print, sign, and bring to clinics and tryouts.
Go to www.tsutigers.com
- Inside Athletics
- Sports Medicine
- Print both:
- Pre-Participation Examination Form
- Indemnity Agreement
We will be accepting preview videos starting March 1-31, 2017 that should include an introduction, kicks, split leaps, triple/quadruple pirouettes, switch leaps, fouettes, toe-touches, and flexibility. This is required for an invite to the official tryout. Please email video to email@example.com with the subject DANCE 2017 . You will receive a simple reply “Received” which confirms we received your entire packet and video. If we do not reply within a week of your submission please follow up to confirm we received it.
One week prior to tryouts we will be sending out emails with a video of the fight song and sideline routine to candidates who are invite to the tryouts in April.
WHAT TO WEAR
NO JEWELRY! NO EXCEPTIONS!
Take all clinics and tryout days seriously by looking your best! Hair must be pulled away from the face with short bangs being the only exception. No stray pieces!
- Clinics = Wear a fitted t-shirt or tank top, shorts, dance tights and dance shoes. School colors are highly preferred. Have hair in a bun and completely pulled away from the face.
- Tryouts Day 1 = Fitted black tank top or bra top, black boycut shorts, dance tights and dance shoes. ONLY school colors/logos are allowed
- Tryouts Day 2 = Wear royal blue boycut shorts, a plain white fitted tank top, dance tights and dance shoes. Hair in a bun pulled back off face. Makeup must be game-ready-- eyeliner and/or mascara, blush, and lip color required at minimum.
At our tryout-prep clinics, anyone trying out for our squad can come practice required skills with members of our current squad to prepare for tryouts. We encourage anyone who can attend to do so, but they are NOT required.
Clinic DATES FOR 2017-2018
February 12 th 6:00-8:00PM (Location TBA)
February 26 th 6:00-8:00PM (Location TBA)
March 12 th 6:00-8:00 PM (Location TBA)
March 26 th 6:00-8:00 PM (Location TBA)
April 2 nd 6:00-8:00 PM (Location TBA)
Prom conflicts? It happens every year! Please contact Coach Pope (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange special accommodations if necessary. Presence is mandatory to tryout for the squad.
2017-2018 Tiger Gem Tryouts April 21-23, 2017
(For candidates who were invited from videos submissions only)
DAY 1 (Indoor Practice Facility)
4:00 PM Doors Open, Check in, stretch
4:30 PM Preliminary testing begins
- Learning ability- we quickly teach a sideline - rated 1 to 5
- Flexibility- heel stretch or bow, scorpion, and arabesque- rated 1-5
- Toe touch jump- rated 1 to 5
- Jumps, toe touch, three-jump combination (whip between)
- Fight song
- Sideline dance
- Practice tumbling Optional (running or standing)
9:00 PM 1st Round cuts made
10:00 PM Dismissal
DAY 2 (Indoor Practice Facility)
8:30 AM Doors Open, stretch
Review Session- review all material learned
- BREAK to relocate, fix hair, grab a snack 11:30 AM-12:30PM
- 1:00 PM Tryouts!!! (Indoor Practice Facility)
**If for any reason you are accepted as an alternate, or even full team member, without some of the required skills you will be expected to work on them throughout the season. Team members will not make the team again the following year without the required skills. If you are working on specific skills be sure to perform them during clinics/practice time with spots. Discuss any injury with coach.
**If you wish to participate at our clinics or tryouts you must sign a liability waiver and Indemnity Agreement mentioned above. If you are not yet 18 years old your parent/guardian must also sign waivers. Please read, print, sign, and bring liability waiver and Indemnity Agreement to pre-clinics and tryouts.
Tips for Tryouts-
- Positive attitude
- Willingness to learn/team player
- Apply all corrections
- Collegiate spirit
- Athletic physique
- Great overall health
- Focus on perfecting the basics before advancing, especially with stunt technique
- Full downs are required for maximum points
- Great showmanship
- Tight and sharp motions are ABSOLUTELY required
- GPA of 2.0 or better
- Placement on team is based on points, attitude, versatility, and coach's discretion.
Tennessee State University
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
Indoor Practice Facility :
1251 Schrader lane
Nashville, TN 37209
***For any other questions please email Coach Dwight Pope at email@example.com
SUBMITTING APPLICATION PACKETS
Completed application packets and videos are due on or before March 31, 2017 via email or Send to:
TSU Spirit Department
PO Box 1245
3500 John Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209-1561
OR via interoffice mail on-campus