Dr. Mohammad Al-Masum
Office: Boswell 220
• Developing New Methods for Organic Transformations
• Potassium Organotrifluoroborates and Its Application in Organic Synthesis
• Transition Metal Catalyzed Microwave Synthesis, Specially Palladium Catalyzed Cross-Coupling Chemistry
• Environmental Sciences Focusing Green Chemistry
Refereed Journal Articles: 22
Conference Proceedings: 24
1. A New organic transformation by introducing crotyl\allyltrifluoroborates in cross-coupling reaction with aroyl chlorides. Al-Masum, M.; Liu, K-Y. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 50, in press.
2. Palladium-catalyzed direct cross-coupling of potassium styryltrifluoroborates and benzoyl chlorides—a one step method for chalcone synthesis. Al-Masum, M.; Ng, E.; Wai, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011, 52, 1008.
3. A Solvent Free C-Benzoylation and N-Benzoylation Reactions by Using Microwave Heating. Al-Masum, M.; Wai, M. C.; Dunnenberger, H. Synthetic Commun. 2011, 41, 2888.
4. Remarkable regioselectivity in microwave enhanced palladium catalyzed allylation reaction involving allyltrifluoroborates and aryl halides. Al-Masum, M.; Alam, S. Tetrahedron Lett. 2009, 50, 5201.
5. Students’ categorizations of organic compounds: Daniel S. Domin, D. S.; Al-Masum, M.; Mensah, J. Chem. Educ. Res. Pract. 2008, 9, 114.
6. Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions of potassium alkenyltrifluoroborates and allyl acetates: A new method for 1,4-pentadiene synthesis. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 11.
7. Microwave-enhanced cross-coupling of allyl chlorides with vinyltrifluoroborates. Kabalka, G. W.; Dadush, E.; Al-Masum, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2006, 47, 7459.
8. Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving alkenyl- and alkynyltrifluoroborates. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2006, 47, 1133.
9. Microwave enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving potassium organotrifluoroborates. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Tetrahedron Lett. 2005, 46, 6329.
10. A new synthetic route to P-Chiral phosphine-boranes of high enantiopurity via stereocontrolled Pd(0)-Cu(I) cocatalyzed aromatic phosphorylation. Al-Masum, M.; Kumaraswamy, G.; Livinghouse, T. J. Org. Chem.2000, 65, 4776.
Articles in conference proceedings
11. Al-Masum, M.; Liu, K-Y.; Ng, E.; Wai, M.; Alam, S. New look of potassium allyltrifluoroborates in carbon-carbon and carbon-nitrogen bond formation reactions 242nd American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, August 28- September 1, 2011. ID # 17218
12. Liu, K-Y.; Al-Masum, M. Unprecedented cross coupling reaction of allyltrifluroborate and benzoyl halides 240th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Boston, MA, August 22-26, 2010, ID # 21799.
13. Ng, E.; Wai, M.; Al-Masum, M. Palladium-catalyzed microwave irradiated direct coupling of potassium arylvinyltrifluoroborates and benzoyl chlorides 240th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Boston, MA, August 22-26, 2010, ID # 21801.
14. Al-Masum, M.; Ng, E. Palladium-catalyzed microwave irradiated cross-coupling reaction of potassium organotrifluoroborates and benzoyl halides 239th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA March 21-25, 2010, ID # 21493
15. Al-Masum, M.; Ng. E. Palladium-catalyzed microwave irradiated cross-coupling reactions for Chalcone synthesis, 30th Annual undergraduate research conference at Memphis, TN, March 7, 2010.
16. Al-Masum, M. Ghazialsharif, N. Catalyst free oxazolidine synthesis using aldehydes and ketones with 2-(methylamino) ethanol. Tennessee Academy of Science, Belmont University, April18, 2009.
17. Al-Masum, M. Alam, S. Microwave irradiated palladium catalyzed cross-coupling reaction of potassium allyltrifluoroborates and organic halides. 237th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT, United States, March 22-27, 2009 Abstract ID # 12555472.
18. Al-Masum, M. Discovery chemistry by undergraduate and master’s level students at Tennessee State University. 118th meeting of Tennessee Academy of Science, Nashville, TN, United States, November 20-22, 2008.
19. Al-Masum, M.; Alam, S., Wai, M. Microwave irradiated palladium catalyzed cross-coupling reaction of potassium allyltrifluoroborates and organic Halides. Abstracts, 60th Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN, United States, November 12-15 (2008).
20. Al-Masum, M.; Dunnenberger, H. Synthesis of ketones from potassium organotrifluoroborates and benzoyl bromide/chloride. 235th ACS national Meeting & Exposition. New Orleans, LA, April 6-11, 2008, Abstract ID # 1170081.
21. Al-Masum, M.; Wai, M; Dunnenberger, H. A New Look of AlCl3 in Microwave Irradiated Solvent Free Benzoylation Reaction. Abstracts, 60th Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN, United States, November 12-15, 2008.
22. Al-Masum, M. Pd-catalyzed coupling of C-H activated compounds with potassium organotrifluoroborates. Gordon Research Conferences, ORGANIC REACTIONS & PROCESSES, July 13-18, 2008, Bryant University, Smithfield, RI Abstract ID # 1828559.
23. Al-Masum, M. Unprecedented cross-coupling of potassium vinyltrifluoroborates and allyl acetates in the presence of palladium catalyst. 5th International Microwave in Chemistry Conference, Imperial College, London, UK, April 18-20, 2007.
24. Al-Masum, M.; Akther, J. Microwave enhanced amination reactions involving dihalocompounds. Abstract, 233rd ACS National Meeting, Chicago, IL, March 25-28, 2007, Abstract ID# 1032809.
25. Al-Masum, M. Microwave enhanced palladium catalyzed cross-coupling reactions involving organotrifluoroborates. Abstract of papers, 4th International Microwaves in Chemistry Conference, Orlando, FL, March 8-11, 2006.
26. Kabalka, G. W.; Al-Masum, M. Microwave-enhanced cross-coupling reactions involving potassium organotrifluoroborates. Abstract of papers, ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, August 28 - September 1, 2005.
27. Al-Masum, M.; Burkey, Theodore J. Bismuth oxide: A new catalyst for oxazolidine synthesis under mild conditions. Abstracts of papers, 228th ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, United States, August 22-26, 2004.
28. Al-Masum, M.; Burkey, Theodore J. Synthesis of side chain derivatives of cyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl and benzene chromium tricarbonyl. Abstracts of Papers, 226th ACS National Meeting, New York, NY, United States, September 7-11, 2003 (2003).
Chem 5210 Advanced Organic Chemistry,
Chem 5110 Graduate Organic Research,
Chem 2020 Organic Chemsitry II,
Chem 2010 Organic Chemistry I,
Chem 2021, Organic Chemistry Lab II,
Chem 2011, Organic Chemistry Lab I, ,
Chem 1030, General Chemistry I,
Chem 1111, General Chemistry Lab I, Fall 2005-present, Tennessee State University (TSU)
Renovating Organic Chemistry Laboratory Curriculum, Fall 2005-present, TSU
AT UM (Univ of Memphis)
Chem 3311, Organic Chemistry,
2010 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU;
2008 Faculty Development Award, Academic Affairs, TSU;
2007 Faculty Research Award, Sponsored Research Program, TSU.
Monbusho (Ministry of Education, Japan) Award: 1993-1996.
26th International UNESCO Fellowship,
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, 1990-1991
Ph.D., March 1996, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Post-Graduate, 1991, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
M.Sc. (Thesis), December, 1986, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.