First Year Students
Welcome to your first year at TSU!
The Office of First-Year Students' Mission is to facilitate the transition of new students into the university and to acclimate new students to the campus community by preparing them for opportunities that promote student learning and development.
APPLY TO BECOME A PEER LEADER!
Peer Leader Online Application
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JULY 1, 2015
WHAT ARE PEER LEADERS?
Peer Leaders are experienced students who co-instruct UNIV 1000 courses along with a faculty or staff instructor. Peer Leaders are responsible for a specific body of knowledge about the university (received in training) and must be sincerely interested and skillful in sharing this knowledge with UNIV 1000 participants. Peer Leader involvement with their co-instructor and students is essential to the success of UNIV 1000.
WHAT WILL PEER LEADERS DO?
Peer mentors will assist UNIV 1000 instructors with the course and work directly with first-time freshmen in achieving the outcomes of the course and successfully transitioning into the campus community by serving as a peer mentor.
Some responsibilities may include:
- Become familiar with the needs of new students and develop a rapport with new students.
- Be accessible and willing to assist with informational needs of students.
- Plan out-of-class activities such as the service project component of the course.
- Prepare and conduct well-organized presentations, class discussions, and activities on various topics.
- Serve as an academic and social role model.
- Communicate accurate and timely information to students about academic and student resources.
- Maintain appropriate and professional social media activities.
- Opportunity to participate in New Student Welcome Week scheduled for August 19 – 21, 2015.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR PEER LEADERS?
- 2.8 Cumulative GPA or higher and earned 30 credit hours by the end of the Spring 2015 semester.
- No violations of the TSU Student Code of Conduct.
- Full-time undergraduate student.
- Exhibit leadership potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Office of First-Year Students.
- Exhibit the ability to work effectively with a faculty or staff teaching partner, as well as a cohort of new students.
- Possess a strong interest and desire to help new students make a positive transition to TSU.
WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION?
Peer Leaders serve as student leaders. They will have the option to earn 1 – 3 credit hours in PSYC 3000, 3001, or 3002.