The mission of the Tennessee State University
Cooperative Extension Program is to help educate and provide information to
limited-resource urban and rural families, small farmers, individuals, other
groups and organizations. We use research-based information and technology to
focus on priorities and needs which help to improve quality of life.
In order to accomplish our mission, the TSU
Cooperative Extension Program will:
- Provide educational programs in the areas of
agriculture and natural resources, community and rural development, 4-H youth
development, and family and consumer sciences.
- Operate with public (federal, state, county) and
private financial support.
- Provide educational outreach in selected counties
through county faculty and subject-matter faculty.
- Help individuals, families, agencies, organizations
and communities identify and solve-problems.
- Enhance the economic and social viabilities of the
- Involve county and state advisory committees in our
Our vision is to be a leader in outreach
educational programs for continuous learning opportunities. To make this vision
a reality, Extension will:
- Network with The University of Tennessee, other
state land-grant universities, and with other sources of research-based
- Build a competent and innovative staff committed to
- Offer an expanded network of volunteers.
- Establish coalitions with agencies at local, state,
national, and international levels.
- Establish public trust in the organization’s
stewardship of human, financial and natural resources.
Goal 1: Enhance the global participation,
competitiveness, and profitability of agricultural producers, especially family
farmers, non-traditional producers, and those who lack adequate economic and
Goal 2: Improve decision-making by consumers and
policy-makers to ensure a sustainable, safe, affordable and nutritious food
supply through enhanced research, education and Extension activities.
Goal 3: Increase the capacity of individuals,
families and communities to assure a health well-nourished population.
Goal 4: Enhance the environmental protection
efforts of small, limited-resource landowners, communities and families through
educational programs that emphasize and encourage the adoption of sustainable
consumer and production practices.
Goal 5: Empower youth, families and communities to
enhance the growth and development of business and industrial sectors.
School of Ag & Cons Sc