Tennessee State University Cooperative Extension Program exists to help educate and provide information to limited-resource urban and rural families, small farmers, individuals, other groups and organizations. We use research-based information and technology to focus on priorities and needs which help to improve quality of life.
In order to accomplish our mission, the TSU Cooperative Extension Program will:
- Provide educational programs in the areas of agriculture and natural resources, community and rural development, 4-H youth development, and family and consumer sciences.
- Operate with public (federal, state, county) and private financial support.
- Provide educational outreach in selected counties through county faculty and subject-matter faculty.
- Help individuals, families, agencies, organizations and communities identify and solve-problems.
- Enhance the economic and social viabilities of the communities.
- Involve county and state advisory committees in our programmatic efforts.
Our vision is to be a leader in outreach educational programs for continuous learning opportunities. To make this vision a reality, Extension will:
- Network with The University of Tennessee, other state land-grant universities, and with other sources of research-based information.
- Build a competent and innovative staff committed to excellence.
- Offer an expanded network of volunteers.
- Establish coalitions with agencies at local, state, national, and international levels.
- Establish public trust in the organization’s stewardship of human, financial and natural resources.
Goal 1: Enhance the global participation, competitiveness, and profitability of agricultural producers, especially family farmers, non-traditional producers, and those who lack adequate economic and social resources.
Goal 2: Improve decision-making by consumers and policy-makers to ensure a sustainable, safe, affordable and nutritious food supply through enhanced research, education and Extension activities.
Goal 3: Increase the capacity of individuals, families and communities to assure a health well-nourished population.
Goal 4: Enhance the environmental protection efforts of small, limited-resource landowners, communities and families through educational programs that emphasize and encourage the adoption of sustainable consumer and production practices.
Goal 5: Empower youth, families and communities to enhance the growth and development of business and industrial sectors.
School of Ag & Cons Sc