Dr. Wei Chen
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Tennessee State University
3500 John A Merritt Blvd
Nashville, TN 37209
: McCord Hall 005P (Main Campus)
: (615) 963-5878
Areas of Interest
Parallel and distributed computing, Cooperative communication and cognitive radio networks, Wireless ad-hoc/sensor/mobile networks, Bioinformatics, Wireless network security, Cloud computing, Computational geometry, DNA computing.
Ph.D in Information and Computer Science, Osaka University (College of Engineering Science), Osaka, Japan, 1994.
M.E in Information and Computer Science Osaka University (College of Engineering Science), Osaka, Japan, 1991.
B.A in Mathematics, Shanghai Marine Institute (College of Liberal Arts), Shanghai, China, 1982.
2002-, Professor, Department of Computer Science, Tennessee State University.
20001, Associate Professor (Promoted to Professor in the same year), Department of Information and Telecommunication, Nanzan University, Japan.
1999-2000, Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan.
1994-1998, Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan.
1982-1988, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Shanghai Marine Institute, China.
Memberships and Society Activities
Member of IEEE Computer Society; Associate editor of Transactions of IEICE on Information and Systems of Electronics, Communications (2002 – 2004); Associate editor of International Journal of Computer Networks (2009 – 2001); Execute Chair of the 8th Application and Principles of Information Science, Japan, 2009; Program committee, the 13th International Symposium on Stabilization, Safety, and Security of Distributed Systems, 2011; Program committee, IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Multi-Criteria Decision-Makin, 2009; Program committee, International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Algorithms and Applications, 2009.
Undergraduate and graduate courses including Discrete Math, Data Structures, Computer Theory, Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence, Cryptography and Network Security, Parallel and Distributed Algorithms, High Performance Computing.
Selected Grants and Contract Awards
Co-PI: "Unfettered and Reliable Communication in Congested Spectrum Environments," US Air Force (09/03/12-12/31/14)
Co-PI: "Communication Paradigms for Cooperative Nano-Networks", U.S. Air Force (September 1, 2012 – October 2013).
Co-PI: Targeted Infusion Grant: Development of an Undergraduate Bioinformatics Program for Enhancing research and Education at Tennessee State University," NSF (Sep 2011 – Aug 2014).
Co-PI: Subspace Segmentation and High Dimensional Data Analysis, NASA, (9/1/2012 - 8/31/2014).
PI: "Cooperative Wireless Communication and Networked Methods for Spectrum Sharing and Interference Reducing", U.S. Air Force (November 2010 – October 2012).
PI: IBM Faculty Award – Auction Based Approaches for Workload Balancing in Cloud Computing, 2010.
PI, "Cross-Layer Design of Channel-Adaptive Transceiver jointing with MAC and Networks," U.S. Air Force (Sep.2006 – Aug. 2008).
Co-PI, "Center of Excellence for Battle Field Sensor Fusion," Army Research Office (Oct. 2004 - Sep. 2009).
PI, "Secure Network Architectures and Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks," TSU Research Sponsor Program (2006).
PI: "DTRA's Student Research Associate Program: Robust Networking Architectures and Security Schemes for Heterogeneous Sensor Networks", DTRA (subcontract from Pennsylvania State University), January 2009 – May 2011.
PI, "A Cross-Layered Perspective of Cognitive Networks – Building MIMO Radios into Design of Cognitive Networks" U.S. Air Force (Oct.2009 – Sep. 2010).
Co-PI, "Assisting Bioinformatics efforts at minority schools," Pittsburg Super Computer Center of Carnegie Mellon University", NIH (subcontract from Pittsburg Super Computer Center of Carnegie Mellon University), Sep. 2009 – Aug 2010.
PI, "Heterogeneous Cognitive MIMO Networks: From Spectral Efficiency to Global Optimization" U.S. Air Force (Oct.2008 – Sep. 2009).
Selected Journal Papers
W. Chen, L. Hong, "Cooperative MIMO paradigms for cognitive radio networks," International Journal of Networking and Computing, Vol. 4, No 1, pp 53-69, 2014.
- L. Hong, W. Chen, "Information theory and cryptography based security scheme for cooperative MIMO networks," ELSEVIER, Ad Hoc Networks, Vol. 14, pp. 95-105, 2014.
W. Chen, H. Miao, L. Hong, "Cross-layer design for cooperative wireless sensor networks with multiple optimizations," International Journal of Networking and Computing, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 63-81, 2010.
- J. Uchida, A.K.M. Muzahidul Islam Y. Katayama, W. Chen, and K. Wada, "Construction and maintenance of a novel cluster-based architecture for ad hoc sensor networks," Journal of Ad Hoc and Sensor Wireless Networks, Vol. 6, Number 1-2, pp. 1-31, 2008.
- J. Uchida, W. Chen, K. Wada, "Acknowledged broadcasting and gossiping in ad hoc radio networks," Journal of Theoretical Computer Science, No. 377, pp 43-54, 2007.
- K. Wada, W. Chen, "Optimal fault-tolerant routings for k-connected graphs with smaller routing tables," Journal of Discrete Algorithms, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp.517-530, 2004.
- A. Fujiwara, K. Matsumoto, W. Chen, "Procedures for logic and arithmetic operations with DNA molecules," International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science, Vol.1, No. 3, pp.461-474, 2004.
W. Chen, K. Wada, "On computing the upper envelope of segments in parallel,'' IEEE transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol.13 No.1, pp. 5-13,2002.
- S. Nakamoto, I. Gosyonoo, W. Chen, K. Wada, An error-resilient encoding with less DNA strands for graph problem," Trans. IEICE, Vol. J85-DI, No. 5, pp. 393-401, 2002.
W. Chen, K. Wada, K. Kawaguchi: "Robust algorithms for constructing strongly convex hulls in parallel," Theoretical Computer Science, No. 289, pp. 277-295, 2002.
W. Chen, X. W. Deng, K. Wada, K. Kawaguchi, "Constructing a strongly convex superhull of Points,'' International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, Vol.11, No.5, pp 487-502, 2001.
W. Chen, K. Wada, "Designing efficient parallel algorithms with multi-level divide-and-conquer,'' IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, E84-A, 5, pp.1201-1208, 2001.
- D. Z. Chen, W. Chen, K. Wada, K. Kawaguchi, ''Parallel algorithms for partitioning sorted sets and related problems,'' Algorithmica, Vol.28, No.2, pp.217-241, 2001.
W. Chen, K. Wada, K. Kawaguchi, D. Z. Chen, "Finding the convex hull of discs in parallel,'' International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, Vol.8, No.3, pp.305-319, 1998.
- Wada, Ikeo, Kawaguchi, Chen, "Highly fault-tolerant routings fault-induced diameter for generalized hypercube graphs'', Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol.43, No.1, pp.57-62, 1997.
Selected International Conference Papers
W. Chen, A. Sekmen, B. D. Bruce, K. Nguyen, P. Mishra, L. Emujakporue, K. Wehbi, "Computational Approaches for Predicting Interaction Sites of Cytochrome and Photosystem I," submitted to 5th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, March, 2013.
W. Chen, S. Hargrove, H. Miao, L. Hong, "Dynamic and Decentralized Approaches for Optimal Allocation of Multiple Resources in Virtualized Data Centers," Proceedings of International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'11), 2011.
- M. McNeal, W. Chen, S. Shetty, S. Aungst, "Security-Oriented Robust Networking Architecture and Key Management for Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN'11), 2011.
W. Chen, H. Miao, W. Koichi, "Autonomous market-based approach for resource allocation in a cluster-based sensor network," Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Multicriteria Decision-Making, 2009.
- T. Okuwa, W. Chen, K. Wada, " An Optimal Algorithm of Acknowledged Broadcasting in Ad Hoc Radio Networks," Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing, pp. 178-184, 2003.
- M. Iami, Y. Hayakaua, H. Kawanaka, W. Chen, K. Wada, C.D. Castanho, Y. Okajima, H. Okamoto, ''A Hardware Implementation of PRAM and Its Performance Evaluation,'' Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Model held conjunction with the 14th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, 1335, pp.143-148, 2000.
- C.D.Castanho, W. Chen, K. Wada, A. Fujiwara, "Polynomially Fast Parallel Algorithms for Some P-Complete Geometric Problems,'' 10th Annual Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry, 2000.
- K Wada, W. Chen, Y. Luo, K. Kawaguchi,"Optimal Fault-tolerant ATM-Routings for Biconnected Graphs'', 23 rd International Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, 1335, pp. 354-367, 1997.
- D. Z.Ch en, W. Chen, K. Wada, K. Kawaguchi, ''Parallel algorithms for partitioning sorted sets and related problems,'' Fourth Annual European Symposium on Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1136, pp.234-245, 1996.
- M. Inoue, W. Chen, T. Masuzawa and N. Tokura, "Linear-Time Snapshot Using Multi-write Multi-reader Registers'', 8th International Workshop on Distributed Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, 857, pp.130-140, 1994.