A TSU Academic Enrichment community outreach program, the Summer Success Institute, is a five-week program designed to enhance student skills in the areas of:
- test taking, and
- study skills.
The Summer Success Institute provides high-school students with the tools necessary to improve their ACT/SAT scores or to successfully complete the initial test-taking attempt. For graduating high school seniors who have been admitted to TSU for fall 2011, the Summer Success Institute offers an opportunity to fulfill study skills requirements prior to the fall semester and to enhance skills in the areas of reading, writing, and math.
Applications for this year's institute will be accepted through May 27, 2011. The fee is only $40.00 (checks or money orders only made payable to Tennessee State University, please) for the entire five-week program. The program will be in session June 3 - July 8. Summer Success Institute registration and orientation will be held on June 3, 2011. Parents are invited to attend the orientation session. For more information, tour this website or call (615) 963-5521 or 963-5563.
COLLEGE PREP CRITERIA
The College Prep track of SSI offers an intensive five-week course for high school seniors who have been accepted to TSU for fall 2011 and who have ACT sub-scores less than 19 in math, English, and/or reading, or who have SAT sub-scores of less than 460 in math and/or English and/or a composite score of less than 900 in reading. At the end of the five-week course, incoming TSU freshmen may participate in placement testing to attempt to achieve higher placement.
Other criteria for the College Prep track include:
- Seniors must have been admitted to TSU by May 27;
- Seniors must have made application to Summer Success by May 27;
- Seniors must have a permission statement signed by a parent or guardian to be eligible to participate;
- Seniors must have a high school counselor verify ACT or SAT scores;
- Seniors must have some combination of ACT sub-scores below 19, or a combination of SAT sub-scores below 460 and/or a composite score of less than 900 to participate;
- Seniors must complete the five-week course to be eligible for early testing and registration for fall 2011.
First time freshmen entering TSU Fall 2011 who participate in Summer Success have the option of participating in a class that may further reduce the DSP courses required when they begin the fall semester. If the student's placement requires enrollment in DSPS 0800, the student may elect to take the study skills seminar that meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. This class is optional, but students who participate and pass the class will be exempt from DSPS 0800 when they begin the fall semester.
MATH ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
Additional math assistance is also available for students enrolled in both the Placement Prep and ACT/SAT Tracks of Summer Success. Assistance will be offered on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in room 218 of the Learning Resource Center. Participation is optional.
ACT/SAT PREP CRITERIA
The ACT/SAT Prep track of SSI offers an intensive five-week course for high school sophomores and juniors who are preparing to take the exam or are preparing to re-take the exam hoping to improve their scores. These classes will be available to students who meet the following criteria:
- Students must have high school sophomore or junior status;
- Students must be on track to complete Algebra I and II;
- Students must be preparing to take or re-take the ACT/SAT;
- Students must have made application to Summer Success by the May 27 deadline;
- Students must have a permission statement signed by a parent or guardian to be eligible to participate.
PLEASE NOTE: Housing, food, and transportation are not provided by this program. The student is reponsible for his/her own supplies. The student must be willing to abide by the TSU Code of Student Conduct.
Line Yourself Up for Success at TSU!